Question

Using temporary file path location of prior transformer into AzureBlobUploader

• 15 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi FME community,

We have a use case to make small tiles of big point cloud datasets and upload these small tiles to a Azure Blob storage. When this works locally, we want to publish this workspace to FME Server.

The AzureBlobUploader needs an attribute value or file path. One solution would be to use the temporary file paths created from a prior transformer as input file path attribute (such as "...\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\wb-cache-azure_blob_upload-r10040\\Main_StringConcatenator -1 52 fo 0 OUTPUT 0 4acde95f2a8d56865e616291d87184930d1d8dc9_6.fps"). Is there a way to get these temporary file paths from for example the StringConcatenator transformer automatically in a FME attribute in order to use it directly into the AzureBlobUploader? I looked into the TempPathnameCreator transformer, however this transformer does not write the output of a transformer to the given temporary file path as far as I can see.

I am curious to your solution.

Kind regards,

Jan

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Not sure if I understand correctly but I think you have to use the TempPathnameCreator to define the _pathname per feature, then use the AttributeFileWriter to write the _result of the StringConcatenator to the _pathname, then use the AttributeFileReader to read the binary from _pathname and the AzureBlobUploader zo upload the binary.

Edit: @geojan I think you need to add a FeatureWriter to write the clipped result to _pathname.

Not sure if I understand correctly but I think you have to use the TempPathnameCreator to define the _pathname per feature, then use the AttributeFileWriter to write the _result of the StringConcatenator to the _pathname, then use the AttributeFileReader to read the binary from _pathname and the AzureBlobUploader zo upload the binary.

Edit: @geojan I think you need to add a FeatureWriter to write the clipped result to _pathname.

Thanks @nielsgerrits for your response. However, the attributefilewriter and reader than only take the string as input while I want them to take the tiled LAS files as input. Somehow I have to catch the binary files it produces after the tiler as input for the conversion to fme-binary. Any ideas to fix this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
Thanks @nielsgerrits for your response. However, the attributefilewriter and reader than only take the string as input while I want them to take the tiled LAS files as input. Somehow I have to catch the binary files it produces after the tiler as input for the conversion to fme-binary. Any ideas to fix this?

@geojan if you replace the attributefilewriter with a featurewriter, and read the features as binary using the AttributeFileReader you might be there.

@nielsgerrits, thanks for your solution! My final solution was very similar to what you suggested:

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

@nielsgerrits, thanks for your solution! My final solution was very similar to what you suggested:

Happy I could help. Don't forget to clean the tiled results (SystemCaller, commandline, delete file / remove directory, be careful) or place an TempPathnameCreator before the FeatureWriter and let manage the software itself. I prefer the latter.