Solved

Write/Update Metadata using XMLUpdater

• 18 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi there!

I am new into the FME world and I am kinda hoping somebody can point me into the right direction.

Currently I am trying to build an FME routine that will allow me to read metadata from a excel sheet (preferred format from the engineer department) and write it into a geodatabase feature class.

This is how my workflow currently looks:

Everything seems to work fine when it comes to updating the metadata fields (Title, Summary, Description, etc.) but when it comes to writing new values (writing in a blank field) the routine runs successfully but no values are being added to the feature class metadata.

This is how my XML Updater looks:

In this particular instance the feature class has a title so the FME routine is updating to the new title located in the Excel spreadsheet. That being said the Summary and the Credits metadata fields are empty in the original feature class and remain empty after the process is completed.

I already tried all different Update Types and none seems to work. Is there anything I am missing? am I using the wrong transformer? or is it only possible to update the existing fields but not blank ones?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

icon

Best answer by friesewoudloper 21 October 2018, 17:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @semolina0124. Welcome to the FME Knowledge Center and FME!

Have you considered reviewing the how-to article Working with Geodatabase Metadata: Writing/Updating Metadata? It contains sample data and a sample workspace.

If you have further questions, sharing a few more details will help the FME community help you. Please reply to this thread and provide additional details if possible including:

• The version of FME and ArcGIS you are using, including build number and edition
  • A small sample of your data, or screenshots of the data in the FME Data Inspector
  • A description of your expected output, with screenshots if possible
  • Your FME workspace
  • Your FME translation log file
  • Any other information that may be useful to share

Hi @semolina0124. Welcome to the FME Knowledge Center and FME!

Have you considered reviewing the how-to article Working with Geodatabase Metadata: Writing/Updating Metadata? It contains sample data and a sample workspace.

If you have further questions, sharing a few more details will help the FME community help you. Please reply to this thread and provide additional details if possible including:

• The version of FME and ArcGIS you are using, including build number and edition
  • A small sample of your data, or screenshots of the data in the FME Data Inspector
  • A description of your expected output, with screenshots if possible
  • Your FME workspace
  • Your FME translation log file
  • Any other information that may be useful to share

Hey there NatalieAtSafe. Thanks for your reply. I am really exited to learn more about FME and its capabilities.

To answer your questions. Yes, I successfully completed the Working with Geodatabase Metadata: Writing/Updating Metadata tutorial as an introduction for my assignment. The thing is that in this tutorials (and other videos I have found online) they tackle the issue of updating an existing metadata field withing the feature class, not a blank one. Let me give you some context on the results.

This is what I have. I set up a test feature class in a geodatabase with some random lines that has a blank metadata sheet that looks like this:

What I want to do is fill these empty fields (Title, Summary and Credits) using an excel sheet that contains the metadata. The results should look like this (I filled this manually for example purposes):

But after running my FME routine successfully (Check my first post) what I am getting is this:

The Title was correctly replaced but Summary and Credits remain empty. I am looking for some feedback to see if the XML Updater can actually do this or if there is another Transformer choice. What I want is to update the metadata fields that have no information on them using and excel spreadsheet as a information source. If this is not possible to do this using FME then I am already working on the plan B.

But any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance for your time in helping me figure out my amateur questions.

Badge

arcsde-metadata.fmw

metadata-attributen.xlsx

Hi @semolina0124,

For a recent project I created a prototype that you might find interesting. You'll find it attached.

The workspace reads the metadata of a feature class in ArcSDE, which is stored as an XML file. The Definition tags in the file should contain descriptions of the attributes.

The workspace replaces blank values for the Definition tag with values in an Excel-file.There are multiple attributes in the feature class, hence there are also multiple Definition tags. The workspace selects the right Definition tag by filtering on the Name tag.

I cannot view the images you have uploaded. Can you share with us the XML file? That would make it easier to help you troubleshoot your problem. Also, can you show us the XML Paths you specified in the XML Updater transformer?

Badge
Hey there NatalieAtSafe. Thanks for your reply. I am really exited to learn more about FME and its capabilities.

To answer your questions. Yes, I successfully completed the Working with Geodatabase Metadata: Writing/Updating Metadata tutorial as an introduction for my assignment. The thing is that in this tutorials (and other videos I have found online) they tackle the issue of updating an existing metadata field withing the feature class, not a blank one. Let me give you some context on the results.

This is what I have. I set up a test feature class in a geodatabase with some random lines that has a blank metadata sheet that looks like this:

What I want to do is fill these empty fields (Title, Summary and Credits) using an excel sheet that contains the metadata. The results should look like this (I filled this manually for example purposes):

But after running my FME routine successfully (Check my first post) what I am getting is this:

The Title was correctly replaced but Summary and Credits remain empty. I am looking for some feedback to see if the XML Updater can actually do this or if there is another Transformer choice. What I want is to update the metadata fields that have no information on them using and excel spreadsheet as a information source. If this is not possible to do this using FME then I am already working on the plan B.

But any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance for your time in helping me figure out my amateur questions.

My browser cannot download the images in your reply.

arcsde-metadata.fmw

metadata-attributen.xlsx

Hi @semolina0124,

For a recent project I created a prototype that you might find interesting. You'll find it attached.

The workspace reads the metadata of a feature class in ArcSDE, which is stored as an XML file. The Definition tags in the file should contain descriptions of the attributes.

The workspace replaces blank values for the Definition tag with values in an Excel-file.There are multiple attributes in the feature class, hence there are also multiple Definition tags. The workspace selects the right Definition tag by filtering on the Name tag.

I cannot view the images you have uploaded. Can you share with us the XML file? That would make it easier to help you troubleshoot your problem. Also, can you show us the XML Paths you specified in the XML Updater transformer?

Hi friesewoudloper

Can you please attach the same workflow for updating metadata for a feature class ?

When i try to download it , it fails?

I am trying to update metadata in a file geodatabase for a feature class.

I just want to update the metadata