Question

WorkBench GUI - Connectors Move Behind Bookmarks Option?

• 9 January 2020
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +3

So there might be already a way to do this, but will ask the question before submitting an idea.

For complex Workspaces, especially those with high parallelism in the workflow, keeping a clean connector visualisation can be tricky. There are already several great enhancements that have been added that allow the user to route the connector line in different ways like Vertices, Tunnels and Junctions, however it all seems to get a bit manual trying to keep connectors routed around Bookmarks they don't actually interact with, especially if you drag a Bookmark box to somewhere else on the Canvas and then have to start shifting non-related Connectors around them again.

I'm wondering if there is an option instead to NOT display the portion of a Connector that goes through a Bookmark, where it does not connect to any Transformer within that Bookmark? Tunnels kind of do this, but I find a different problem arises from using Tunnels because at higher zoom levels on the Canvas you start to lose visibility as to which Bookmark Subprocesses connect with which other Bookmarked Subprocesses and hence their dependencies to each other.

Current Default Connector Display

Desired Connector Display

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

You can sort of achieve this by either hiding connections or creating tunnels (both available from the right-click menu of the connection). There is also a setting in the FME Options that affects this but I don't have FME handy at the moment so I can't check.

Userlevel 4

As you mention, using a tunnel would be the natural (and perhaps only) way of achieving this. Currently the bookmarks are not opaque, even when filled.

Badge +21

Hi @bwn

Add an Idea describing this here - and if multiple people needs it they will vote: https://knowledge.safe.com/content/idea/post.html?space=155

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Doesn't look like it, and I don't see an existing request in our developer database. For annotation you can make it completely opaque, and then you don't see the connection, but bookmarks always appear semi-transparent at least. Definitely file an idea.