Question

Spatial Join that can be visualized in Tableau

Hi,

I am trying to do a spatialJoin between a records table with lat, lon coordinates that lives on AWS Redshift, and a shapefile that lives on my local PC.

The final goal is for this join to then be imported into tableau and visualize the data as a choropleth map showing number of records per shape.

However, for some reason this is failing for me and I have no idea why.

Below is the ETL diagram:

As you can see no output is going to inspector called PointsOnShape - suggesting that no point found any match with the shapes. I have plot the points and shapes on tableau and there's definitely overlap.

ShapeOnPoints Inspector shows also no overlap, and gives an error:

On the other hand the RejectionsIns shows a clear error: INVALID_POINT_GEOMETRY_VERTICES. But I have no idea how to handle it or what I may be doing wrong.

This is just part of my ETL workflow because ideally I'd write this data to redshift and then consume it in Tableau but wanted to start by fixing this issue.

Thanks!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi @dfernan

The 'invalid point geometry vertices' points to a problem with your points. Features from your table may not be spatial at this point. You can verify this by turning on Run with Full Inspection (in 2017) or Run with Feature Caching (in 2018) under the Run menu, running your workspace, and double-clicking on the count bubble between the Redshift reader and the PointOnAreaOverlayer. If you don't see points, then your features do not have geometry.

If your features do not have geometry. You should use the VertexCreator to create point geometries from your table. Method 2 of this tutorial goes through how to use the VertexCreator with tabular data.

In addition, you may need to reproject either your shapefile or points to ensure they are in the coordinate system.

Hope this helps,

Debbi

Hi,

I don't think this is the issue. Look at what I see below:

So basically, the lat and lon columns from the redshift table are not showing up, why?

They are two columns in the table - but when I press ok they dissapear (as in example above) because they don't show up on user attributes.