Question

geodb_type attribute missing after attempting to set it

• 24 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge

When attempting to update the geodb_type attribute from geodb_pro_annotation to geodb_annotation the attribute becomes missing. I'm assuming this isn't expected behavior, so looking for any insight into my problem.

For background, in my process I am reading ArcGIS Pro annotation from a file geodatabase and writing it to an FFS file in a separate workbench. This annotation started as standard geodatabase annotation, was upgraded to pro, and I am trying to write it back to a standard geodatabase annotation feature class.

In the workbench that is reading the FFS file I am exposing the geodb_type attribute, then updating it with the AttributeCreator. The exposed attribute has a value of geodb_pro_annotation, but after trying to update the value it becomes missing.

The image shows the relevant part of my workspace. The Visual Preview is showing the output from AnnoAttributeCreator.

Using FME(R) 2020.0.1.0 (20200407 - Build 20218 - WIN32)

2 replies

Badge +2

@_trent this issue is related to the introduction of Bulk Mode to FME. For some reason the Bulk Mode is dropping the geodb_type. Normally this would not be an issue as you can set the annotation type on the feature type. But in your case it looks like your writer is dynamic. For now I think you have two options:

• add a GeometryFilter (filter for text) and a second feature type used only for annotations. You can then set the feature class type as geodb_annotation on that second feature type.
  • split the Feature Tables used by Bulk Mode - add an Offsetter (with zero offsets) prior to the AnnoAttributeCreator - this will split the Feature Table used by Bulk Mode and hence should allow

We'll try and get this fixed as soon as possible.

Badge

@_trent this issue is related to the introduction of Bulk Mode to FME. For some reason the Bulk Mode is dropping the geodb_type. Normally this would not be an issue as you can set the annotation type on the feature type. But in your case it looks like your writer is dynamic. For now I think you have two options:

• add a GeometryFilter (filter for text) and a second feature type used only for annotations. You can then set the feature class type as geodb_annotation on that second feature type.
  • split the Feature Tables used by Bulk Mode - add an Offsetter (with zero offsets) prior to the AnnoAttributeCreator - this will split the Feature Table used by Bulk Mode and hence should allow

We'll try and get this fixed as soon as possible.

I tested with the second option, using the Offsetter, and that worked. Thank you.