Question

DateTimeStamper: Failed to parse

Badge +1

We have a custom transformer Updater in FME 2019.0.2.0 which uses a DateTimeStamper to extract the current date and time into an attribute. Geographical location is Denmark.

The custom transformer is called at 4 different places in the workspace and the last two are reporting the following message (only shown for custom transformer number 3):

2019-06-26 10:57:43|  50.4|  0.0|WARN  |Updater_3_DateTimeStamper: Failed to parse '20190626105743.717495+02:00' as a datetime value. For FME datetime syntax, please see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!Transformer_Parameters/standard_fme_date_time_format.htm. For ISO datetime syntax, please see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!Transformer_Parameters/standard_fme_date_time_format.htm#ISO-8601-Duration-Format

2019-06-26 10:57:43|  50.4|  0.0|WARN  |Updater_3_DateTimeStamper: Failed to evaluate expression '@DateTimeCast(20190626105743.717495+02:00,datetime)'.  Result is set to null

2019-06-26 10:57:43|  50.4|  0.0|WARN  |Updater_3_DateTimeStamper: Failed to parse '' as a datetime value. For FME datetime syntax, please see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!Transformer_Parameters/standard_fme_date_time_format.htm. For ISO datetime syntax, please see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!Transformer_Parameters/standard_fme_date_time_format.htm#ISO-8601-Duration-Format

2019-06-26 10:57:43|  50.4|  0.0|WARN  |Updater_3_DateTimeStamper: Failed to evaluate expression '@TimeZoneRemove(<null>)'.  Result is set to null

The DateTimeStamper is configured as seen in the following image:

0684Q00000ArAeIQAV.png

Why is the DateTimeStamper failing and why only in some situations?

13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

Can you share the custom transformer? I don't think it's in the datetimestamper but somewhere else.

Badge

Hi there,

after update to FME V2019.1.2 I can confirm the error described above. With FMEDesktop V2019.1.2 the DateTimeStamper works fine. When uploadrd to FMEServer V2019.1.2 the DateTimeStamper fails with the error shown above! We don't use any custom transformer so the DTS is just part of an "ordinary" workspace to set the date for a filename...

Hope there is a solution soon....

Is there any update on this issue? I have the same problem in v2019.2.2.

Badge +8

Hi @espengudevang,

Can you explain your issue in more details?

Are you using DateTimeStamper in a custom transformer?

Or is the issue happening in DateTimeStamper on the Desktop or Server environment?

Are you using the same attribute name to store the current Time at multiple places (with slight time difference?

@rahulsharma, the issue is happening in DateTimeStamper on both the Desktop and Server environment. In my current workspace there are just one DateTimeStamper transformer. I'm reading from an ESRI feature service and writing to an ESRI file geodatabase.

DateTimeStamper: Failed to parse '20200313213225.6716289+01:00' as a datetime value. For FME datetime syntax, please see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!Transformer_Parameters/standard_fme_date_time_format.htm. For ISO datetime syntax, please see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!Transformer_Parameters/standard_fme_date_time_format.htm#ISO-8601-Duration-Format

DateTimeStamper: Failed to evaluate expression '@DateTimeCast(20200313213225.6716289+01:00,date)'. Result is set to null

Badge +8

@rahulsharma, the issue is happening in DateTimeStamper on both the Desktop and Server environment. In my current workspace there are just one DateTimeStamper transformer. I'm reading from an ESRI feature service and writing to an ESRI file geodatabase.

DateTimeStamper: Failed to parse '20200313213225.6716289+01:00' as a datetime value. For FME datetime syntax, please see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!Transformer_Parameters/standard_fme_date_time_format.htm. For ISO datetime syntax, please see http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!Transformer_Parameters/standard_fme_date_time_format.htm#ISO-8601-Duration-Format

DateTimeStamper: Failed to evaluate expression '@DateTimeCast(20200313213225.6716289+01:00,date)'. Result is set to null

I tried a few different scenarios with ArcGIS Online and Portal feature to FGDB with DataTimeStamper but no luck. Is it possible to share your workspace with us?

You can submit a support ticket here, workspace, logfile, screenshot, etc, there is no need for feature layer (as we can use some of the open source from AGOL)
Badge +11

Experienced exactly the same behaviour in FME 2019.2.3.1 DateTimeStamper is used in an ordinary workspace, no Custom Transformer involved. Has anyone found some workaround for this issue?

Badge

Experienced exactly the same behaviour in FME 2019.2.3.1 DateTimeStamper is used in an ordinary workspace, no Custom Transformer involved. Has anyone found some workaround for this issue?

Hi @whkarto can you share your workspace?

Badge +11

I tried to extract the section where the DateTimeStamper failed, but when doing so, everythings ok. The whole workspace, and the data to run is confidential and can't be shared easily. I managed to find a workaround by using the DateTimeFunction() in AttributeManager, together with substring().  

@DateTimeFormat(@Substring(@DateTimeNow(),0,8),%Y-%m-%d)

In my case it was sufficient to extract the date, which is alsways the first 8 characters.

One of our customers experiences exactly the same issue with FME 2020.2.0.0 (20201027 - Build 20787 - WIN64) : DateTimeStamper fails indicating "DateTimeStamper: Failed to parse '20210128182647.2356933+01:00' as a datetime value.".

When the transformer is copied to another workspace (simpler, to provide Safe with an isolated issue), it works !

I'll file a case for the support but cannot figure out how they could analyze a problem that cannot be reproduced :(

Badge +3

I'm dealing with exactly the same issue :(, I filed support case 'C650211' for this

We are running into a similar issue with build 20624 in combination with ArcGIS Pro 2.5.0 but found source for the issue. Also the same behavior here, running the datetimestamper in isolation works, but not in the full process.

When I add a pythoncaller with 'import arcpy' before the datetimestamper and run the process, the behavior appears, it looks like that library does something with the global datetime settings or replaces the native datetime library or something.

Tried this with python compatibility on Esri ArcGIS Python 3.5+ and 3.6 which doesn't affect the end result.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

We are running into a similar issue with build 20624 in combination with ArcGIS Pro 2.5.0 but found source for the issue. Also the same behavior here, running the datetimestamper in isolation works, but not in the full process.

When I add a pythoncaller with 'import arcpy' before the datetimestamper and run the process, the behavior appears, it looks like that library does something with the global datetime settings or replaces the native datetime library or something.

Tried this with python compatibility on Esri ArcGIS Python 3.5+ and 3.6 which doesn't affect the end result.

Hi @pruiter​, I believe this was a known issue with FME 2020 + older that many other users were running into. It seems to be an issue that arises with the use of languages other than English and arcpy. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any workarounds. However I am happy to say the issue has since been fixed in FME 2021 & newer!