Solved

Capture specific log messages to process in my workspace

• 6 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +10

During runtime, I wanted to read the log file for messages that contain 'START - ProcessID, 'FME Session Duration', END - ProcessID' and a few other messages (in the red boxes) into my workspace so I can include each message as a feature in my translation.

0684Q00000ArEJTQA3.png

I can get most of this information from a shutdown script like below. However, I need the information back into my translation so I can write it to a database table that records translation metadata.

# Import modules
import fme, datetime
from os import path

# Get current date and time
dateToday = datetime.date.today().strftime('%Y/%m/%d')
timeNow = datetime.datetime.now().time().strftime('%H.%M.%S')

print(dateToday)
print(timeNow)
print(fme.processID)
print(fme.status)
print(fme.elapsedRunTime)
print(fme.totalFeaturesRead)
print(fme.totalFeaturesWritten)

icon

Best answer by david_r 6 January 2020, 17:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Here's a template that shows how to get the process id inside the translation workflow, it should be fairly easy to adapt for other information in the FME log file.

get_process_id.fmwt

Startup script:

import re
import fme

with open(fme.logFileName, 'r') as f:
   contents = f.read()
   global process_id
   match = re.search('ProcessID: (\d+)', contents)
   if match:
      process_id = match.groups()[0]
   else:
      process_id = 'UNKNOWN'

PythonCaller:

import fme
import fmeobjects

def get_process_id(feature):
    global process_id
    feature.setAttribute('process_id', process_id)

Badge +10

Here's a template that shows how to get the process id inside the translation workflow, it should be fairly easy to adapt for other information in the FME log file.

get_process_id.fmwt

Startup script:

import re
import fme

with open(fme.logFileName, 'r') as f:
   contents = f.read()
   global process_id
   match = re.search('ProcessID: (\d+)', contents)
   if match:
      process_id = match.groups()[0]
   else:
      process_id = 'UNKNOWN'

PythonCaller:

import fme
import fmeobjects

def get_process_id(feature):
    global process_id
    feature.setAttribute('process_id', process_id)

Thanks @david_r. However, this may not be able to read the parts of the log - e.g "FME Session Duration:" and "END: "after the PythonCaller transformer.  

Userlevel 4

Thanks @david_r. However, this may not be able to read the parts of the log - e.g "FME Session Duration:" and "END: "after the PythonCaller transformer.  

The duration, memory use etc are already available in the fme module in the shutdown script, e.g.

print('Workspace duration was {} seconds'.format(fme.elapsedRunTime))

See: http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.2/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Configuration/FME_END_PYTHON.htm

Badge +10

The duration, memory use etc are already available in the fme module in the shutdown script, e.g.

print('Workspace duration was {} seconds'.format(fme.elapsedRunTime))

See: http://docs.safe.com/fme/2019.2/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Configuration/FME_END_PYTHON.htm

I captured that already in my shutdown scripts as shown on my question. I'll keep your solution as the best answer as I only need the ProcessID to bring the rest of the translation metadata from the log to my outputs. I wish there was a better way to do it as part of the translation or record the data in a database table from within the shutdown script. My python skills are not at that level. I can workaround this for now.

Thank you very much!