Solved

Microstation DGN Links not supported in FME?

Badge

Hi,

I have a DGN file that have links attached to elements.

However, I cannot see the links exposed/supported in FME.

Please see a screen grab showing the link attached to element in Bentley Microstation.

I cannot get to this object in FME.

Please can you help?

Many thanks,

Magda

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 23 November 2016, 18:52

View original

15 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

Have you seen in the data inspector sometimes other information will be shown as attribute lists i.e. igds_linkage{}

If you didn't found, I request you kindly attach a sample file to go through.

Pratap

Badge

Hi Pratap,

Many thanks for your answer.

I did see the linkage{} but was not sure if this refers to the link or database connection in FME.

I am not sure how I can exact the link value through that, i.e. the "1.jpg" string - as in screen grab from original question.

Please see the DGN attached.

link.dgn.

Your help much appreciated!

Magda

Badge +16

As @pratap mentions tags are supported,it's a matter of using the reader setting to make them available.

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/igds/IGDS_reader.htm

Another issue is that list elements are only visiable via the feature information window or the log using a logger transformer.

Hope this helps.

Badge

As @pratap mentions tags are supported,it's a matter of using the reader setting to make them available.

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/igds/IGDS_reader.htm

Another issue is that list elements are only visiable via the feature information window or the log using a logger transformer.

Hope this helps.

Hi Itay,

Thank you for looking. I am familiar with tags. The Microstation "Engineering links" are stored in tags - no problems accessing these in FME.

However standard links, i.e. not Engineering links, are not stored in tags and therefore I do not know how and if they can be accessed within FME.

I sent a dgn example.

Any idea how I can access the DGN link object (not Engineering links that are stored in tags) within FME?

Many thanks,

Magda
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi Magda,

Sadly I don't believe FME supports reading (or writing) this type of link. It is already filed as an enhancement request with our developers, as PR#48220. I've added this thread to that request so we are informed if/when it is implemented.

If you would like, please do contact our support team (safe.com/support) with more details about your need for this functionality, and we might be able to increase the priority. Please do quote the reference number PR#48220

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing,

Mark

Badge +16

Hi Itay,

Thank you for looking. I am familiar with tags. The Microstation "Engineering links" are stored in tags - no problems accessing these in FME.

However standard links, i.e. not Engineering links, are not stored in tags and therefore I do not know how and if they can be accessed within FME.

I sent a dgn example.

Any idea how I can access the DGN link object (not Engineering links that are stored in tags) within FME?

Many thanks,

Magda
Hi Magda,

Didnt know there was a difference, learnt something new today!. Hopefully this will eventually be supported.

Cheers,

Itay

Badge +1

Hi Magda,

Sadly I don't believe FME supports reading (or writing) this type of link. It is already filed as an enhancement request with our developers, as PR#48220. I've added this thread to that request so we are informed if/when it is implemented.

If you would like, please do contact our support team (safe.com/support) with more details about your need for this functionality, and we might be able to increase the priority. Please do quote the reference number PR#48220

Mark

Mark - Any update on this PR

Badge

Mark - Any update on this PR

Hi @darkspatiallord

there is still no progress on this PR unfortunately. There is not enough user interest for this not so trivial enhancement. However, I added a comment to the PR (FYI, it is now FMEENGINE-9369) asking to review the priority of this request. If you have any additional information that will help us increase the request priority (anything about the importance of this functionality for your project or future projects), please share - either here or by sending an e-mail to .

Thank you for your inquiry.

Hi Magda,

Mark

Hello,

another year has passed. Is there a solution for this link task in the latest FME Version?

Best regards, MiHue

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello,

another year has passed. Is there a solution for this link task in the latest FME Version?

Best regards, MiHue

Not yet. I've just asked the developers to assess this at their weekly team meeting, to see what the schedule is. It's "on their radar" so to speak, so I'm sure it will get implemented, I just really don't know when.

Edit: so I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I've asked the developers for an update on this question. They are now committed to doing this and it should be in FME2020 (although I don't know if it will be the 2020.0 release, or a .1, .2, .3 etc update).

So although I can't make 100% guaranteed statements, it is exceedingly likely this will be implemented soon.

fyi @magda @darkspatiallord @mihue

Badge +1

I've asked the developers for an update on this question. They are now committed to doing this and it should be in FME2020 (although I don't know if it will be the 2020.0 release, or a .1, .2, .3 etc update).

So although I can't make 100% guaranteed statements, it is exceedingly likely this will be implemented soon.

Yawn....sorry what year is it! Thats 2 from 2 for 2016 fixes!

That sounds good! Thanks for pushing this task forward :-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello,

Best regards, MiHue

Hello @mihue - I'm happy to report that this functionality has been added to FME2020. It's currently in beta mode (see safe.com/beta) but 2020 should be released sometime within the next month, so there isn't long to wait until the final version is available.

I hope you find this new functionality useful. Please do provide us with any feedback you may have.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I'm happy to report that this functionality has been added to FME2020. It's currently in beta mode (see safe.com/beta) but 2020 should be released sometime within the next month, so there isn't long to wait until the final version is available.

I hope you find this new functionality useful. Please do provide us with any feedback you may have.