Question

Build surface/solid from lines

• 15 July 2020
  • 1 reply

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I've been given a sample from a CityGML dataset that I want to eventually convert into an FBX 3d model. Now, before receiving this sample, I had built a workflow that did the entire conversion from a CityGML dataset into FBX models, tested it out with different CityGML datasets from open data repositories and it worked just fine.

But in all of those datasets, the geometry was made up of surfaces, while on this sample there are just lines.

I've been messing around with the AreaBuilder transformer but even though some of the surfaces are generated, I can't seem to get it nowhere near what it should be like.

Any ideas?

The sample: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JAKSgxgjPMRfwJoDgCaKPValeaZRmO88

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I would suggest you just convert the lines to lines as FBX. Trying to build 3D surfaces like this from line segments is pretty hard.

Most CityGML will/should be proper surfaces. I've never seen something like this in CityGML.

Are you expecting a lot of files like this? Whoever created them I would suggest needs to fix the process. These should be modelled as buildings.