Question

GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA

From ESRI documentation it shows that they use the field GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA as an 'extra' way to store complex polygons. That is, if you want to use more than regular straight lines between the points of that polygon. Inmy case, that field only contains 'NULL' values, as I only use simple straight polygons.

So far, so good in ArcGIS pro, but when you try to read the FCL in FME(2019.2) an error occurs that the row is not available. The only way is to exclude the field when you want to read the data. The problem is that you normally don't look for that field as this is not allways added to the FCL. Also FME_server cannot handle this field.

The question: is there a way to get past this issue without having to think about field GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA, even better: I hope that FME will fix this reader issue.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @p.wintjes! Have you tried using the latest build of FME to confirm if this issue still exists in 2020? Additionally, you could try unexposing the GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA attribute in the reader feature type to see if you are able to read in the dataset?

Thank you Kailin for your quick response. We have not tried to use the most recent version yet, we are still finishing the upgrade to 2019.2 (including FME server), and yes we can disable the field when reading an object like that. A strange thing, however is that on my own machine the field does not even show in the list of fields, so there is no problem there, as on the pc of my colleague she needs to switch off that very same field to read objects. So if I myself publish a workbench with an object that has the field GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA to FME server it will return an error running it on FME server, even though it runs smoothly on my own pc with FME desktop.

It looks to me that there might be some sort of parameter to initially switch off those BLOB fields. May be someone can help me out here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thank you Kailin for your quick response. We have not tried to use the most recent version yet, we are still finishing the upgrade to 2019.2 (including FME server), and yes we can disable the field when reading an object like that. A strange thing, however is that on my own machine the field does not even show in the list of fields, so there is no problem there, as on the pc of my colleague she needs to switch off that very same field to read objects. So if I myself publish a workbench with an object that has the field GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA to FME server it will return an error running it on FME server, even though it runs smoothly on my own pc with FME desktop.

It looks to me that there might be some sort of parameter to initially switch off those BLOB fields. May be someone can help me out here.

@p.wintjes, thanks for the follow up information. This is something we can look into, would you be able to submit a case, and if possible include your data and workspace so we can confirm the same behavior.

Hi Kailin,

We have been trying our best to export a useful FCL (created in SQL server) to a FGDB. ArcGIS 10.1 cannot read those FCL's, so no copy is made. In ArcGIS Pro there is no problem reading it, but copying to FGDB will show that the column GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA is not copied. In general it looks like it is purely a condition that occurs in only SQL server databases. Up to now the only way to read such an object in FME is by disregarding that GDB_GEOMATTR_DATA field.

I had hoped that there would be more FME users that experience simular behaviour. I hope you can reproduce it in your own ArcGIS pro environment.

ello Kailin,

We did some more digging in this issue and we think it has something to do with the version of Microsoft SQL server Native Client which is installed on our computers. My own pc was recently reinstalled, so my version of SQL client is 11.4... My colleagues were not that lucky, they are stuck with version 11.1... as well as our FME server configuration. Can you elaborate on this matter.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

ello Kailin,

We did some more digging in this issue and we think it has something to do with the version of Microsoft SQL server Native Client which is installed on our computers. My own pc was recently reinstalled, so my version of SQL client is 11.4... My colleagues were not that lucky, they are stuck with version 11.1... as well as our FME server configuration. Can you elaborate on this matter.

Hello @p.wintjes! We might need to do some exploration with your workspace. Would you mind filing a case so we can look at this in more detail? Let me know if you have any troubles filing a case! https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/