Question

OBJ image tile edge issue

• 3 December 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi all,

I am attempting to create a series of tiled OBJ files with a terrain mesh and an ortho image draped over the top of the mesh. In order to ensure that the geometry between two adjacent tiles matches up I have a set of tile edges as a Geodatabase line feature. These are heighted, based on the input terrain and the tile edge dataset are used within the overall tile creation. These act as a set of breaklines and geometry between tiles is shared. The resultant terrain mesh is as I expected (see tile-edge-mesh.jpg) - N.B. this has only 1 tile selected as I can't see how to select more than 1 tile at a time.

Anyway, the geometry that results from this looks good and tiles edges match up in terms of geometry. The problem that I have is with the textures draped over the top. If you look at the original-orthos.jpg image, you can see that there is no discernible edge between the 2 tiles. However, once you run the workspace an artefact seems to have appeared at the edge (see obj-file-orthos.jpg).

I'm using the AppearanceSetter transformer to add the texture and I've tried several different image file formats, to see if there's something strange going on with image compression, but they all give the same result. A few points that might be relevant:

- The ortho image extents are used to define the tile edge dataset, so there is no overlap between orthos and each OBJ file is exactly the same size as orthos and the tile eges all match those extents

- The AppearanceSetter is used right at the end of the workspace.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is happening to these textures? FME seems to be doing something strange at the edges of the textures and I can't see what is going on.

Thanks for any help

Dave

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @cappers,

I wonder if that line might be an artifact from the rendering of the edge of the texture. One way to minimize it might be to have the texture image slightly larger than the surface, then set the AppearanceSetter parameter Texture Coordinate Generation Parameters - Texture Mapping Type to Top Down Georeferenced, so that the ortho georeferencing is used to align the texture with the surface.