Solved

Google Maps KML to TAB not showing user attributes in separate columns

• 8 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have an editable KML with all its user attributes showing in a data table in Google Maps - showing as above when I click on the map objects. I want to be able to export that data back out of Google Maps to TAB or Excel (or anything!), with all these user attribute fields. However, when I export this from Google Maps and look at the Feature Types of the KML Reader in FME Inspector, there are no User Attributes, only Format Attributes. When I use the Inspector, the attributes look as below - there are no kml_schema_ attributes, only kml_data attributes with name (attribute column heading) and value, each one suffixed 1, 2, 3 etc. So when I use a simple workflow with no transformers to export this to TAB, all user attributes are concatenated into the kml_description field as shown below. I have a feeling this isn't normal...……. My original export to KML for Google Maps was from a Shapefile using QGIS export tool (I removed text from "DescriptionField"), and the data displays as I want it to in Google Maps.

I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you, Jane

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 8 August 2019, 19:37

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @janem,

The kml_data{} list won't be written to TAB, since it doesn't support list attributes. However, we can use an AttributeCreator to convert that list into regular attributes:

Add an entry for each element in the list you see in the Data Inspector.

Workbench doesn't know the contents of kml_data{}.name, so we will need to expose the new attributes, based on our knowledge of the source table. Please add an AttributeExposer, and expose the new attributes:

description

ID

Location_id

Grid_Ref

_10_km_Sq

_1_km_Sq

Easting

Northing

Badge

That looks really helpful, thank you Dave. When I get access to FME again next week I shall try this out. Thanks again!

Badge

I followed your advice using the AttributeCreator and AttributeExposer as above and it worked perfectly! Thanks very much - I now have MapInfo table with all my attributes.