Question

3D Bounding Box as a polymesh

• 15 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge

How can I simplify my 3D bounding boxes of pointclouds so that they aren't 3D polymeshes on output but simplified 3D solids? Also is there a way to merge them at the same time into one 3D solid?

This is my workspace as it is at the minute

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @samstibbs73, in the FME Geometry Model, there are some types belonging to Simple Solid. See here to learn more: FME Geometry Model

Your workflow generates Extrusions, which is also a kind of Simple Solid. If Extrusion doesn't satisfy your requirement, which type of Simple Solid do you need to create?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @samstibbs73,

To creste the simplest possible geometry within FME, you can create a Box from the Pointcloud bounds.

After the BoundsExtractor, add an AttributeCreator to create the attribute _geometry from the text below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US_ASCII" standalone="no" ?>
 <geometry>
   <box>
     <minCoord x="@Value(_xmin)" y="@Value(_ymin)" z="@Value(_zmin)"/>
     <maxCoord x="@Value(_xmax)" y="@Value(_ymax)" z="@Value(_zmax)"/>
   </box>
 </geometry>

Next, add a GeometryReplacer with the Geometry Encoding set to FME XML and the Geometry source set to the attribute _geometry. This will replace your pointcloud with a 3D Box from the bounds.

If you want to merge them, you can try the FME Hub transformer SolidDissolver. However the output of this will be a Brep solid.