Question

Connect the dots with a twist!

• 15 January 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +5
  • Contributor
  • 25 replies
I followed the guidance from Takashi from this post (http://fmepedia.safe.com/CommunityAnswers?id=906a0000000cggKAAQ) to connect points and it works great but I'm running into some data challenges.  First off, I have about 37k points that I need to create lines from tower to tower (spans) out of but retains the tower attributes.  The points are electric tower locations with a line name and sequence number.  The field I'm using for sequence isn't complete AND there are duplicate or not consecutive sequence numbers.  I've removed as many duplicates as possible but to compound issues, I've found some line names are in clumps (see screenshot 2).  This causes issues because long/erroneous lines are created connecting the far away points together (see screenshot 3).

Anyone have any thoughts on how to handle the long lines being created that connect the clumps together?  I don't want those lines created.

Let me know if I can provide any more information or answer any questions.

Workbench:

Screenshot 2 - the black dots are one line name, green dots are other lines

Screenshot 3 - spans created after running thru FME - noticed the long lines created between the clumps of points

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Jon,

If you can specify allowable maximum distance between two towers, the Tester would be a simple solution to filter out unpreferable line segments.

e.g. @Length()  <  200

Takashi
Badge +5
Takashi,

I had thought of that - removing any span over a certain length.  That works most of the time, but gets tricky because some spans cross rivers and are much longer than typical spans.  I'll keep playing around with a max distance and maybe bring in rivers for the area if I can find them.

Thanks,

Jon