Question

Unable to generate correct cesium 3d tiles

• 21 October 2019
  • 3 replies

m trying to generate 3D tiles form shp file. Just simple shp reader directly to Cesium 3D tiles writer. It does generate files, but after uploading them to Cesium Ion it does not work. It cant even generate preview of it.

Am I missing some step in FME?

Coordinate setting: reader - read from source

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @mka,

The Cesium 3D Tiles writer supports only Surface and Solid geometries. If your Shape file contains only lines or areas, they will not be output to the Cesium file.

FME does have tools like the Face Replacer, Extruder and SurfaceModeller, that can convert lines and areas into surfaces.

What type of geometry do you have in your source files, and what would you like to see in Cesium?

Hi @mka,

The Cesium 3D Tiles writer supports only Surface and Solid geometries. If your Shape file contains only lines or areas, they will not be output to the Cesium file.

FME does have tools like the Face Replacer, Extruder and SurfaceModeller, that can convert lines and areas into surfaces.

What type of geometry do you have in your source files, and what would you like to see in Cesium?

Hi

I have a shp file with polylines. I converted it to geojson and cesium worked with it fine. But if its too large CesiumJS is crashing so I wanted to tile it, hence the idea of converting it to 3d tiles. Does it make sense?

It Cesium even a good tool for visualization like that?

Data I have is mostly point, polylines and polygons.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi

I have a shp file with polylines. I converted it to geojson and cesium worked with it fine. But if its too large CesiumJS is crashing so I wanted to tile it, hence the idea of converting it to 3d tiles. Does it make sense?

It Cesium even a good tool for visualization like that?

Data I have is mostly point, polylines and polygons.

Hi @mka,

You can try using a Tiler transformer to break up your polylines into tiles, then use Dataset Fanout on your GeoJSON writer to write the tiled data out to separate files for loading into Cesium.

I am attaching a workspace to do this for you. You just need to add the Shapefile reader and set the tiling size in the Tiler transformer.

tiletogeojson.fmw