Question

Finding if an object is within line

• 21 August 2019
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

Hi,

I want to find out whether an object with certain coordinates (x3,y3), is within a region that connects two points of a line. See the image below.

I have a line between two points (X1,Y1) and (X2,Y2). I want to know if another object is intersected by that line. As the object is just a point, and my accuracy of the points is low, i want to put a buffer on its x/y co-ordinates of like 1m either side (so effectively a square), and see if that crosses it.

Is this possible in FME? If so... how?

4 replies

Badge +9

Hello @sam2130, I would suggest looking at the Bufferer coupled to a SpatialRelator transformer.

Userlevel 4

Hello @sam2130, I would suggest looking at the Bufferer coupled to a SpatialRelator transformer.

Agree, or using the GeographicBufferer, if necessary.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

You could also look at a PointOnLineOverlayer - you can use a tolerance within this to account for the accuracy, or NeighbourFinder with a maximum distance

Is the criteria also that the point (X3,Y3) has to be between (X1,Y1),(X2,Y2)? If that's the case you also have to check that the point is between those 2 points. Otherwise a SpatialRelator would give a false result. If its enough with a intersecting than you can go with the answer above.