Question

FME Challenge: 12 Days of FME Hackathon 2018

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
After the success of the competition last year, we have decided to run the 12 Days of FME Hackathon again for 2018!

What is the 12 Days of FME Hackathon?

The 12 Days of FME Hackathon is where we give users (that's you) 12 days (starting right now!) to work on and submit your project as a reply to this question. Your project can be anything that you've built with FME. For more ideas and inspiration, you can check out the submissions from last year.

Anyone who enters this Holiday Hackathon will be in with the chance to win a one-of-a-kind FME prize pack - containing a Temperature Controlled Ceramic Mug, FME Slippers, FME Sweater, FME Grill Set and FME Tie.

To win - your submission must have the most votes when we close the voting on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 12:00 noon PST. Don't worry - voting won't open until after the submissions deadline has passed. Any votes placed before that won't count.

So, you have 12 days to work on and submit a project and share it with the rest of the community.

Don't forget to give the 2019 betas a try or put that home licence to good use!

To enter the 12 Days of FME Hackathon, answer this question with:
  • The title of your project;
  • A brief description of your project (why you did this, what purpose does it serve);
  • A file containing your project. This could be a workspace, FME Server project, custom transformer...
  • Videos or images to enhance your submission (optional)
  • Upload your creation to FME Hub (optional)

This question will be closed at 12pm PST Wednesday 12th December 2018, where the answers will be available to vote on but submissions will no longer be allowed.

The winner will be the submission that has the most votes at on Tuesday Dec 18th at 12:00pm PST.

VOTES ON ANSWERS BEFORE THE VOTING PERIOD WILL NOT COUNT

(Please don’t vote until then, as they will be removed)

T&Cs apply

34 replies

Hello FME Team,

I will think to make a proposal!

See you soon, Loïc from France

Hello @Safeteam, this in my proposal for hackathon 2018 !!!

Title : What is this country ?

Description : This is a game that aims to show a country to the user. The country outline is downloaded from the Openstreetmaps database based on an code via an xls file. by default the country is returned to increase the difficulty but with a parameter released the country can be put to the place.

So if we need help the script can give the first two letters of the country and / or not return ;)

Published parameters :

XLS file : (the code is a wikidata code) and i use it for dowload OSM Data on API Over Pass Turbo)

FME Project (screenshot) :

Zoom to API OverPass Turbo Caller :

I use Then HTTPCaller and FeatureReader with this URI

Result examples :

Returned and help

Retuned without help

My project is downloadable on FME HUB : https://hub.safe.com/templates/what-is-this-country

P.S : I want to win gifts !!! ðÂÂÂ?ÂÂÂ?ÂÂÂ?

See you soon and thankh you for this amazin software #FMEGeek #FMEAddict

----

Loïc Guénin Randelli, FME Expert From France

www.sitdi-France.fr

Description : This is a game that aims to show a country to the user. The country outline is downloaded from the Openstreetmaps database based on an code via an xls file. by default the country is returned to increase the difficulty but with a parameter released the country can be put to the place.

So if we need help the script can give the first two letters of the country and / or not return ;)

Published parameters :

XLS file : (the code is a wikidata code) and i use it for dowload OSM Data on API Over Pass Turbo)

Result examples :

Returned and help

Retuned without help

My project is downloadable on FME HUB : https://hub.safe.com/templates/what-is-this-country

----

www.sitdi-France.fr

Published parameters :

Result examples :

Returned and help

Retuned without help

----

www.sitdi-France.fr

Badge +16

Hi there,

After discovering that my initial idea for a custom reader was already supported by FME, I have decided to turn it completely around and make something for fun.

Title: CatFun

Description: A workspace to help you enjoy a moment of fun in your busy day.

My project can be found at the FME Hub or here catfun.fmwt

Don't forget to setup the Emailer transformer!

This hackathon should be a yearly FME tradition!

Itay

PS. I also do really want that FME tie.....;)

Badge +16

Hi there,

After discovering that my initial idea for a custom reader was already supported by FME, I have decided to turn it completely around and make something for fun.

Itay

Badge +22

Hi there,

Itay

Were you going to make a CAT reader?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi there,

Itay

I like the tie too. I think Jen had a lot of fun designing that one.

Badge +2

Hi there,

Itay

This is fun for sure! Thanks!

Badge +2

Hi @loicguenin

Can you please add this as an edit or comment to your submission below? Just to make it clearer when voting begins :)

Thank you!

Hi @loicguenin

Can you please add this as an edit or comment to your submission below? Just to make it clearer when voting begins :)

Thank you!

Hello @jlutherthomas

It's done :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi there,

Itay

I just tried this out and it really is fun. I wonder how many cat facts per second you could send using FME Server?! It could be a new type of performance benchmark: cfps or cf/s.

Badge +1

Hello from summertime,

So I'm a little resource thin at the moment, so I made this a 12 minutes of FME hackathon. I spent 12 minutes authoring the work-space!! Which does mean that is has not failed any QAQC testing as I haven't done any!

Title: Augmented Reality Advent Calendar01 Input.7z.zip

Brief Description: Creates a random festive themes Augmented Reality file to open with the FMEAR app. Starts at the 10th as that's when I made it! Files were from TurboSquid. I did this to see if I could do it in 12 minutes, it probably took about 15 in the end!! It serves no purpose other than spreading festive cheer!

Remove .zip from 01 Input data to open

arac.fmw

Published parameters :

Result examples :

Returned and help

Retuned without help

----

www.sitdi-France.fr

Hello ! Where are my screenshots ? :(

Badge +2

Hello ! Where are my screenshots ? :(

Hi @loicguenin

I can still see your images (which might be my browser cache). Could you try editing your question and re-upload them and see whether that works for you? I had the same thing happen when I first published this question.

Hi @loicguenin

I can still see your images (which might be my browser cache). Could you try editing your question and re-upload them and see whether that works for you? I had the same thing happen when I first published this question.

Hello @jlutherthomas

i reupload all files, it's ok for now... :)

Badge +2

Hello FME users!

This is my proposal for the Hackathon 2018.

Title : Financial Market Exchange process

Description : Your favorite movie is The Wolf of Wall Street? You always wanted to become a stock-broker? Then FME is here to help you to keep an eye on all your favorite company quotes in realtime. This Financial Market Exchange workspace will sumarize everything for you into an Excel file sent by email.

More informations explained into the workspace.

Download from the FME Hub

Badge +2

Hello FME users!

This is my proposal for the Hackathon 2018.

Title : Financial Market Exchange process

Description : Your favorite movie is The Wolf of Wall Street? You always wanted to become a stock-broker? Then FME is here to help you to keep an eye on all your favorite company quotes in realtime. This Financial Market Exchange workspace will sumarize everything for you into an Excel file sent by email.

More informations explained into the workspace.

Download from the FME Hub

Hi @philippeb

Can you please try uploading your images again? It looks like they haven't come through properly.
Badge +2

Hi @philippeb

Can you please try uploading your images again? It looks like they haven't come through properly.

I think it's all good now :) Good luck to everyone!

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

If anybody has ideas for a TimeExpander transformer, I would be able to work on an idea for this Hackaton.

I am just too busy to be able to have some "out of work" fun with FME.

Maybe next year.

Good luck everybody!

Badge +16

I just tried this out and it really is fun. I wonder how many cat facts per second you could send using FME Server?! It could be a new type of performance benchmark: cfps or cf/s.

Mass mail cat facts and images with FME Server, I like the way you are thinking....:)

I imagine the API's will give up before FME Server does.

Badge +8
FME Server - Error Log Parsing + Notifications

Have you ever gotten the dreaded "A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details" status message from an FME Server Topic? Me too! FME already has a super stable notification platform for when jobs succeed or start massively failing. They don't however have a way to programatically filter specific error messages or easily dive into an error log. This project will consist of an FME job that breaks down error messages further to help notify specific people when specific parts of a process fail. For example you can use this to notify esri when ArcGIS Online writes fail or your IT/database team when you get a database error. And finally it will write to a sqlite database, so you can easy query logs over time and chart when specific systems have the most errors. Another added benefit is that you can easily add rules to help "fail over" to other FME workspaces that don't have the dependencies that are broken. So if ArcGIS Online goes down, and you have a job that writes to a local SDE database, you can have it submit that one!

Click Here to get the Workspace!

Part 2:

I also put together a sample that includes the XKCD comic sample from @1spatialdave's entry, so you can be sad that your FME job has failed, but then be picked up and laugh at a hilarious XKCD comic with this workspace: fme_error_handling_withXKCD.fmw

Badge +22
FME Server - Error Log Parsing + Notifications

Have you ever gotten the dreaded "A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details" status message from an FME Server Topic? Me too! FME already has a super stable notification platform for when jobs succeed or start massively failing. They don't however have a way to programatically filter specific error messages or easily dive into an error log. This project will consist of an FME job that breaks down error messages further to help notify specific people when specific parts of a process fail. For example you can use this to notify esri when ArcGIS Online writes fail or your IT/database team when you get a database error. And finally it will write to a sqlite database, so you can easy query logs over time and chart when specific systems have the most errors. Another added benefit is that you can easily add rules to help "fail over" to other FME workspaces that don't have the dependencies that are broken. So if ArcGIS Online goes down, and you have a job that writes to a local SDE database, you can have it submit that one!

Click Here to get the Workspace!

Part 2:

I also put together a sample that includes the XKCD comic sample from @1spatialdave's entry, so you can be sad that your FME job has failed, but then be picked up and laugh at a hilarious XKCD comic with this workspace: fme_error_handling_withXKCD.fmw

You have interesting parameter prompts. I particularly like "Why not add your personal email so you can be on-call all the time and notified 24/7 when jobs start failing (especially useful if your company doesn't provide you with a phone or allow email on your personal device) ;):"

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Mince Pie Calculator

Determines how many mince pies (and other treats) a fitbit user(in the sample wotkspace me!) has earned as the day progresses, grabbing Fitbit stats and publishing the output in graphics and text to a web page or twitter

Template file (requires fitbit and twitter connections to work)

fitbit_mince_pie_calculator_12days.fmwt

Output

http://www.ourownlittleworld.org/Mince_pie_calculator.html or Twitter

Image output depends on fitbit data being read, the more activity the more sweets/mince pies

Workspace

Badge +8

Mince Pie Calculator

Determines how many mince pies (and other treats) a fitbit user(in the sample wotkspace me!) has earned as the day progresses, grabbing Fitbit stats and publishing the output in graphics and text to a web page or twitter

Template file (requires fitbit and twitter connections to work)

fitbit_mince_pie_calculator_12days.fmwt

Output

http://www.ourownlittleworld.org/Mince_pie_calculator.html or Twitter

Image output depends on fitbit data being read, the more activity the more sweets/mince pies

Workspace

Is this only for you? Apparently I've earned 3 mince pies by doing nothing today xD