Question

MSLinks in DNG file and FME conversion to shape

• 6 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge

I asked this question on this tutorial page:

https://knowledge.safe.com/content/kbentry/1533/index.html#comment-54869

and was advised to post a question on the forum. Unforunately, I can't provide a datasample.

I just wanted to know... Say, I have a DGN file, which was created with one of Bentley's software packages. And I wanted to transhorm that DGN file to a shapefile just like in the tutorial linked above, but also linked to that shapefile the same attribute table which was related to it in the Bentley software. I've noticed a "Linkage extraction " through MSLinks and Framme, in the reader parameter. What would happen if I joined an attribute table with a MSLink column to my shapefile geometry (a table origially linked to the DGN file in the software package), when I check MSLinks linkage extraction? Would FME automatically detect which MSlink in the attribute table relates to which feature in the shapefile?

EDIT 1:

If you check MSLINKS in the linkage extraction, it does seem to take a MSlink value, I'm not sure if it's the correct one. I tried with a small workbench, but how do I now proceed? What comes after a attrbuteexposer transformer if I want to create a shapefile.. I added the steps in the tutorial linked above, but the shapefile doesn't contain the MSLink attributes. The reader is a DNG layer.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @fmenco,

Could you send a sample DGN?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Hi @fmenco,

Could you send a sample DGN?

Thanks,

Danilo

No, I'm sorry I can't..... But usually, what should you do when you want to add the attributes in one file to a shapefile..? How do you extract them and add them to your writer (which in this case would be a shapefle)?

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

No, I'm sorry I can't..... But usually, what should you do when you want to add the attributes in one file to a shapefile..? How do you extract them and add them to your writer (which in this case would be a shapefle)?

Hi @fmenco,

On Reader select the option Parameters:

Select the MSLinks in parameter Linkage Extraction:

Add the Writer shapefile and select the option Copy from Reader.

In my test i used a transformer AttributeManager to mapping the attributes from Reader to Writer.

Please, write me if this explanation is necessary to you.

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge
Hi @fmenco,

On Reader select the option Parameters:

Select the MSLinks in parameter Linkage Extraction:

Add the Writer shapefile and select the option Copy from Reader.

In my test i used a transformer AttributeManager to mapping the attributes from Reader to Writer.

Please, write me if this explanation is necessary to you.

Thanks,

Danilo

Yes, this worked... thank you! I would always check MSLink linckage extraction, and I would see the MSlink, but I just didn't know how to add them to the attribute table! Thanks !

The system adds them as mslink_0... Do you perhaps know what mslink_1 and 2 mean? I also get those, but they don't contain a value...

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Hi @fmenco,

I'm happy that its works now! :)

About MSLink has a interesting documentation about mslink Documentation Readers and Writers

Thanks,

Danilo
Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Yes, this worked... thank you! I would always check MSLink linckage extraction, and I would see the MSlink, but I just didn't know how to add them to the attribute table! Thanks !

The system adds them as mslink_0... Do you perhaps know what mslink_1 and 2 mean? I also get those, but they don't contain a value...

Hi @fmenco,

I'm happy that its works now! :)

About MSLink has a interesting documentation about mslink Documentation Readers and Writers

Thanks,

Danilo