Question

Merge multiple connecting lines into one

• 24 September 2013
  • 6 replies

The image below is of a single door on a "level" in a dgn file.  There are several doors on the level.  Each door is composed of several line shapes.  The example below has 4 line shapes that makeup the door.  I would like to know what transformer I can use that will merge each of these connecting lines into one line shape.  Therefore, I would have one line per door.

Thank you

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I think the LineJoiner transformer can be used (specify door ID attribute to Group-By parameter).

Takashi
Takashi, thank you for the response.  Unfortunately there is no doorID parameter that groups the doors.  I'm hoping for a command that would merge the lines that intersect.  So in the image I posed above, the four lines would be merged into a single feature.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
If the lines touch each other at end nodes, the LineJoiner also connects them without "Group By". But in no "Group By" condition, different doors will be also connected if they touch each other.

Do the lines belonging to the same door exactly touch each other at end nodes?

Takashi
Hi Takashi, lines belonging to the same door touch each other, however, its not always at end nodes.  Some doors are marked by an "X" and for these doors, the line joiner does not join the lines, instead it spits out four lines for the X.  I did use "group by" because I need some of the attributes preserved for use further down in the workbench.  I'm wondering how to group the X lines.

Takashi, I've gotten around the issue of "X" shapes not joining by aggregating the xyz for X's as all four segments of X's have the same insertion point.  Thank you for your help on this.  The line joiner came in handy for all other elements.  My ultimate goal was to get a single point for each element, graphic group, cell, etc. on a level; and I have that now :)
Hallo Steve,

I need exactly the same as you with the "X" shape (lines from cells into point), can you describe your method?

Thanks