Question

Expose Aliases as Metadata Attributes not working.

I have added the _alias suffix to my field (HS2_SuitabilityCode) that i want to change the alias of to (HS2 Suitability Code) but when i write out to GDB the alias does not update.

5 replies

Badge +3

Are you using the correct Writer? There are two different GDB writers and I think that this will only work in the 'File geodb'-writer and not in the 'File geodb open API'-writer.

Thanks,

The first issue i am having is that when i choose "Expose Aliases as metadata attributes" as below

None of the aliases are exposed as attributes, can anyone explain why?

If i then type out the field name with the _alias suffix in a feature manager and write to a gdb this does work when there is a feature in the feature class, thanks @lars_de_vries

However, i am trying to correct a blank feature class with an incorrect Alias of "HS2_SuitabilityCode" to "HS2 Suitability Code". I can't just do it manually as i have 500 feature classes to edit with the smae change so need a solution in FME. Can it work with a feature class with no feature in?

Badge +3

Thanks,

The first issue i am having is that when i choose "Expose Aliases as metadata attributes" as below

None of the aliases are exposed as attributes, can anyone explain why?

If i then type out the field name with the _alias suffix in a feature manager and write to a gdb this does work when there is a feature in the feature class, thanks @lars_de_vries

However, i am trying to correct a blank feature class with an incorrect Alias of "HS2_SuitabilityCode" to "HS2 Suitability Code". I can't just do it manually as i have 500 feature classes to edit with the smae change so need a solution in FME. Can it work with a feature class with no feature in?

I can imagine that it only works on feature classes that still need to be create, so non-existend. I am not sure whether it will work on existing feature classes.

Thanks Lars, yes i did use the files geodb writer

I have 2 questions:

1. When I use the "Expose Aliases as metadata attributes" in the reader why do they not show as attribute headings on my reader once loaded in FME

2. Can i change aliases fro empty feature classes?

@daleatsafe, how do i get a response direct from Safe?

Badge +3

Thanks Lars, yes i did use the files geodb writer

I have 2 questions:

1. When I use the "Expose Aliases as metadata attributes" in the reader why do they not show as attribute headings on my reader once loaded in FME

2. Can i change aliases fro empty feature classes?

@daleatsafe, how do i get a response direct from Safe?

1. If the attributes are not exposed by themselves, you can expose them using the AttributeExposer.

2. I am not sure, only one way to find out, i.e. trial and error.