Question

3D-DWG (pipes) to IFC

• 17 September 2019
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I'm a student from Czech Republic and I'm designing sewer pipes in a sub-programme of AutoCAD. I've exported my project into 3D-DWG model. However I need to export it to IFC so me and my classmates can put it together with other parts of the building as well in IFC.

I've read that this software can do this so I've downloaded student version. But I've just started it and I really don't know what to do. https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/595/autocad-to-ifc-conversion-example.html - this tutorial wasn't really helpful neither. Can you please tell me exactly (step by step) how can I transform the 3D-DWG file into IFC? Here's a screenshot of the model:

Thank you all for reponses.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @188793,

The workspace provided in the example is a good starting point, you just need to change the geometry conversion a little. Instead of using the Extruder on the polygons, send the pipe features through a SolidBuilder transformer. You will also need to change the output feature type to one more appropriate for sewer pipes.

If you would like to send me a sample of your DWG file, I would be happy to send you a customized. workspace. If you don't want to make the data public, you can send it to me directly: dave.campanas@safe.com