Question

display results with % sign

Badge
Hi, I am calculating a average age and I would like the results to display with the % sign.  I got the number that I wanted but it's displayed as text (42)  and not a number.  I would like to display as a number with % sign.  Is that possible for FME to do.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

If you are looking for how to define the format for percentage representation in the Excel writer, try set "0%" to the Custom Number Format field for the column.

(FME 2015.1)

Takashi
Badge
How do i access this Edit Coumn Formatting window.  I am not able to see it when i click on my writer
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Find the Edit button in the writer feature type properties dialog.

Badge
I don't have the same menu on edit button as you do.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
The GUI has been changed in FME 2015.1.

In FME 2015.0, select "Custom" (forgot correct choice string...) in the Format type, and then enter "0%" into the "Custom format string".

I'm not sure whether this works as expected in FME 2015.0. If possible, it's better to upgrade to FME 2015.1.1.
Badge
Takahi I tried this and it doesn't work.

Badge
Ok, it worked i had to change the type to Number from Auto.  But now it shows up as 4200% instead of 42%.  is that possible to change it?
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
If you've set "string" to the column type, try changing it to "number" or "auto".
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Excel displays 100 times of the value if the cell format is percentage. It's a specification of Excel. 

You can divide the value by 100 using ExpressionEvaluator or AttributeCreator, before writing.
Badge
finally, it worked.  thank you so much Takashi.  I used ExpressionEvaluator and /100 and then on the writer i had to take the 0% off and leave it to read it as a number.  In excel that number was then read as %.