Solved

How to access all the fme server apps in one go as a list without logins

Badge

How to access all the fme server apps in one go as a list without logins

Hi All,

Is there a way to access all the fme server apps without logins in one go as a list, especially the apps that are require authentication feature is disabled?

best,

Lubna

icon

Best answer by gerhardatsafe 10 April 2020, 22:18

View original

12 replies

Badge +2

Hi @lubna_najeh,

You cannot access anything on the FME Server interface without login credentials. Server Apps can be used to provide a method of self serve for end users to run workspaces only without the need for a log in, instead Server Apps use API Tokens in the background for authentication to that particular workspace and associated items.

Therefore if you need to access anything on without logging in, I think the recommendation would probably be to build a workspace to fetch this information through our Rest API (which does require authentication) and then serve up this workspace through an App in itself. That being said, I do not think there is an endpoint exposed to retrieve information on Server Apps at this time, so you may consider posting an idea to request this as an enhancement.

I see you have been asking a number of questions in relation to the Server Apps functionality, perhaps it would be a good idea for us arrange some kind of call to better understand your requirements and see if we can answer all of your questions there. If this is something that interests you please contact Safe Software Support.

If you are new to FME Server, I'd also recommend reviewing the FME Server Authoring Course which I think may help with some of your questions.

Badge +5

Hi hollyatsafe,

For example, the services published by ESRI ArcGIS Server can be accessed without logins. However, if particular services are configured with logins, then users can sign in to enjoy accessing them.

Do you have such permission in FME Server? i.e, to let all the published services with FME Server accessed with no credentials unless otherwise configured.

According to our business requirements, the published services are generally meant to be fully accessed by public without the need to login

The link below shows how services published by ESRI ArcGIS Server are displayed

https://adaptor.geomolg.ps/adaptor/rest/services

Badge +2

Hi hollyatsafe,

For example, the services published by ESRI ArcGIS Server can be accessed without logins. However, if particular services are configured with logins, then users can sign in to enjoy accessing them.

Do you have such permission in FME Server? i.e, to let all the published services with FME Server accessed with no credentials unless otherwise configured.

According to our business requirements, the published services are generally meant to be fully accessed by public without the need to login

Hi @jamal,

Thank you for the image I think I better understand the requirement now. Currently there is no option like this that exists in FME Server, I think you would have to create and maintain your own Web App with a list of Server App URLs to achieve something similar to what you have in ArcGIS Server.

Please consider posting an idea for this, our Product Owners regularly review this page and this will allow them to gauge the interest level from users for this particular enhancement.

Badge +5

Hi @jamal,

Thank you for the image I think I better understand the requirement now. Currently there is no option like this that exists in FME Server, I think you would have to create and maintain your own Web App with a list of Server App URLs to achieve something similar to what you have in ArcGIS Server.

Please consider posting an idea for this, our Product Owners regularly review this page and this will allow them to gauge the interest level from users for this particular enhancement.

I have already posted it. Please, vote!

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/111661/fme-server-20200-accessing-published-services-app.html

Badge

A potential workaround for this is to create another public FME Server App that returns an HTML document with the links to all FME Server Apps like Holly suggested. While the API endpoints are not documented yet it is still possible to get the list with a simple authenticated GET request. Here is a simple workspace creating the HTML:

fmeserver_apps.fmw

Steps to create the new FME Server App:
  1. Publish workspace as Data Streaming service
  2. Create new FME Server App that that doesn't need authentication with the new workspace
  3. Configure the new FME Server App with username and password in the Parameters and check the option Run Immediately in the Customize section.
  4. Go to the ink of the new FME Server App and see a list with links to all FME Server Apps

I hope this helps until there is a better solution for this.

Badge

A potential workaround for this is to create another public FME Server App that returns an HTML document with the links to all FME Server Apps like Holly suggested. While the API endpoints are not documented yet it is still possible to get the list with a simple authenticated GET request. Here is a simple workspace creating the HTML:

fmeserver_apps.fmw

2. Create new FME Server App that that doesn't need authentication with the new workspace
  3. Configure the new FME Server App with username and password in the Parameters and check the option Run Immediately in the Customize section.
  4. Go to the ink of the new FME Server App and see a list with links to all FME Server Apps

Thank you @gerhardatsafe .. it works with me like a charm!

Badge

Hi hollyatsafe,

Hi All,

The steps that I followed are as below:

1. Publish the attached 36328-fmeserver-apps.fmw workspace as Data Streaming service

2. Create a new app with some configuration

3. Click the link to go to all published apps without logins

Best,

Lubna

Badge +24

fmeserver_apps.fmw

Perfect, I was just looking for this, and this works well, although a more implemented version would be perfect.

Badge +2

I'm pleased to let you know that it is now possible to build FME Server Gallery Apps in the latest FME Server Betas.

Each Gallery App is customisable meaning you can choose what FME Server Apps to include, as well as any other URL links to other Web Services. For each link you can choose a different image icon, as well as a label, both are hyperlinked to take you to the FME Server App/URL when clicked.

It is also possible to set up the Gallery App to require Authentication, meaning only valid FME Server Users have access to the list of available Server Apps.

Build Gallery App

Gallery App View for End User

Just like regular Server Apps, it is also possible to customise the Gallery App interface with your own browser icon as well as changes to Header and Footer. If you would like to try this feature out is is available in our latest FME 2020.1 beta available to download from safe.com/beta.

Please note because this is a beta any functionality may still be subject to change, but we welcome any feedback.

Badge +2

Perfect, I was just looking for this, and this works well, although a more implemented version would be perfect.

Hi @kennyo,

I'm pleased you were able to get something set up. This functionality has now been built directly into FME Server for 2020.1. I have added a separate answer to this post with some more information about this.

Badge

I'm pleased to let you know that it is now possible to build FME Server Gallery Apps in the latest FME Server Betas.

Each Gallery App is customisable meaning you can choose what FME Server Apps to include, as well as any other URL links to other Web Services. For each link you can choose a different image icon, as well as a label, both are hyperlinked to take you to the FME Server App/URL when clicked.

It is also possible to set up the Gallery App to require Authentication, meaning only valid FME Server Users have access to the list of available Server Apps.

Build Gallery App

Just like regular Server Apps, it is also possible to customise the Gallery App interface with your own browser icon as well as changes to Header and Footer. If you would like to try this feature out is is available in our latest FME 2020.1 beta available to download from safe.com/beta.

Please note because this is a beta any functionality may still be subject to change, but we welcome any feedback.

@hollyatsafe perfect enhancement Best,Lubna

Badge +24

Build Gallery App

@hollyatsafe Awesome!