Question

Reading only required feature types in FeaturReader

• 11 April 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have the following workflow:

1. SDE reader reads the polygon feature which will be used for clipping feature types;

2. FEATURE_TYPES public parameter is fetched. It lists what feature types to read;

3. A few Testers and FeatureReaders is used (depending how many layers are in the DB):

If FEATURE_TYPES contains FeatureX When FeatureReader is initiated to read only what FeatureX;

4. All features read are passed on to the Clippee, etc.

Is there any better workflow which reduces Testers and FeatureReaders to be used? I tried using one FeatureReader and query the feature types to read, but FeatureReader always reads all the features and passes only the ones, what are queried. This is not good, considering the different DB features have millions objects and reading all of them is time consuming.

So if DB contains, for exmaple 60 layers, I need to use 60 Testers and 60 FeatureReaders. It's insane.

3 replies

Userlevel 4

Which FME version are you using? The suspect the FeatureReader has evolved quite a lot in more recent versions.

Badge

Which FME version are you using? The suspect the FeatureReader has evolved quite a lot in more recent versions.

I'm using 2014 version.

Userlevel 4

I'm using 2014 version.

Any particular reason for not using something more recent?

You may want to consider trying out FME 2019 that was released just recently, if you install it in a separate folder you can keep both versions installed.