Question

XY tolerance in FME,

Badge +5
XY tolerance in FME,

As the end product of my workbench is ESRI feature class, I couldn’t figure out which option allows me to select the XY tolerance (resolution) of this feature class.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Jamal,

Try specifying 1000 (reciprocal of 0.001) to X, Y Scale parameter. And, maybe you will have to specify X / Y Origin simultaneously.

Takashi
Userlevel 4
Hi,

if you need more precise control of the tolerance, origin, etc, consider using a template for the Geodatabase (http://blog.safe.com/2012/01/fmeevangelist95/).

David

Badge +5
Many thanks Takashi and David for the help,

Selecting the X,Y scale to be 0.000001 introduces an error.

Removing the 0.000001 lets the workbench to work fine

Then where the tolerance is set?

Userlevel 4
Hi,

I recommend you use the template option, it is much easier. At least that has been my personal experience.

David
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Yes, agree. The template option is easier and will bring your expecting result.

btw, my previous post was vague?

If you specify X, Y Scale parameter, the value should be the reciprocal of tolerance. For example, enter 1000 if you need 0.001 tolerance. And also, you should specify X Origin and Y Origin parameters when you specify X, Y Scale parameter.
Badge +5
I got that if the writer is selected to be “Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb API)” instead of “Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb ArcObjects)” then the XY tolerance can be specified directly.

Selection the writer to be “Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb ArcObjects)” will introduce no clear option to specify the XY tolerance

I have no clear idea regarding the deference between “Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb API)” and “Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb ArcObjects)”

Userlevel 4
Hi,

the Geodb API writer has a lot of limitations compared the the ArcObjects writer, but on the other hand it doesn't need an ArcGIS installation or an ArcGIS license.

More details here (http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/How_To/Comparison-of-FME-readers-and-writers-for-SDE-and-Geodatabase).

If you need to use templates or specify tolerances, you must use the ArcObject-based writers.

David
Badge +5
Many thanks David for the input. This is very useful.

Best

Jamal
Badge

Hello.

We are in the same boat as OP, trying to tweak the tolerance to see if we can export from Oracle to Esri then back to Oracle.

I tried to create a template without features in ArcCatalog and ArcMap and both crashed. I'm new to this world so maybe I'm doing something wrong...?

Right mouse on the database in either app, export XML workspace document, select SCHEMA ONLY, set the name for the file (export metadata is CHECKED), next, click EXCLUDE ALL, FINISH and....crash....

Also tried same steps but including one feature and same result.

I did submit the crash report