Question

How to keep area-topology after the Generalizer

• 13 March 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I have an area featureclass without gaps or overlaps. I use the Generalzer within FME 2018 Desktop Beta to change the scale. To "preserve the Shared Boundarys" this Parameter ist set to "yes". However some areas are split in two parts by the Generalizer as documented in the attached screenshots.

I do not want to alter the count of the areas. I tried other algorithms and parameter settings. Same outcome.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Herfried

2 replies

Badge +3

The property 'Preserve Shared Boundaries' will take care that after generalization there are still no gaps or overlaps. This will not garantee that features won't be split into multiple objects.

I think you'll have two options. The first option is to choose a different 'Generalization algorithm'. I am not sure which suits best for your situation, but you could try the different options.

The second option is to use an Aggregator-transformer to create multipart features in the case objects became split in the Generalizer.

I hope this helps you solving your problem.

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your answer.

Our customers don't want multipart-areas.

I tried other algorithms (Deveau , Tin ....) and parameter settings. If they exist - I can't find the right combination. The result shoult fit to scale 1:50.000. I could change the parameters so the result fits to e.g. scale 1:10.000 so the areas don't fall apart. But that ist again not what our customer want.