Question

Create a 3D object/mesh from Point Cloud

• 30 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi!

I'm struggeling to create a 3D object/mesh from this point cloud I have. I really wanted to try out the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder but it wont work for me (asked about that in an other Q).

Instead I've tried to process it through SurfaceModeller/TINGenerator but left with an undesired result.

My problem is that the empty space is included in the model.

I now try to work with vertices (generated from SurfaceModeller) which I transform further into polygons trying to get the outlines or the general shape of the point cloud, without success.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to either drop the empty space in the TINSurface or approach this matter of generating a 3D model representing the point cloud.

2 replies

Badge

Hi @erdem,

Apart from the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder, I don't think that there is anything that can create a full 3D, solid-like mesh for you from a point cloud . What you generated is a 2.5D mesh ( what you mesh is as well), in which point in the X,Y plane can have only one Z value. There are different tools to do this. Programmatically, I would advise CGAL as it has the most advanced features. If you want something that offers a GUI, try MeshLab (it's free).

But if a 2.5D mesh is what you're after, try one of these methods:

Create a concave hull around your point cloud by first coercing into a aggregate set of point (GeometryCoercer), use a hullAccumulator (test with the a-value for performance). You now have a footprint of the point cloud.

1) use this as input to clip the generated mesh (not sure if this works)

2) OR to create a new mesh use this footprint and load into SurfaceDraper, after that a Triangulatornow you should have a mesh that's only concerned with the footprint of the point cloud.

Hi @erdem,

Apart from the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder, I don't think that there is anything that can create a full 3D, solid-like mesh for you from a point cloud . What you generated is a 2.5D mesh ( what you mesh is as well), in which point in the X,Y plane can have only one Z value. There are different tools to do this. Programmatically, I would advise CGAL as it has the most advanced features. If you want something that offers a GUI, try MeshLab (it's free).

But if a 2.5D mesh is what you're after, try one of these methods:

Create a concave hull around your point cloud by first coercing into a aggregate set of point (GeometryCoercer), use a hullAccumulator (test with the a-value for performance). You now have a footprint of the point cloud.

1) use this as input to clip the generated mesh (not sure if this works)

2) OR to create a new mesh use this footprint and load into SurfaceDraper, after that a Triangulatornow you should have a mesh that's only concerned with the footprint of the point cloud.

Ok, your answer is really appreciated! Too bad the 2.5 isn't enough and its a shame I'm dependent of PointCloudSurfaceBuilder, and it not working for me.

Thank you