Question

FME Weekly Quiz Results: Andrea Eisma (January 2020-2)

• 21 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi FME'ers,

This week's challenger was my colleague in the Tech Experts team at Safe, Andrea Eisma. Interestingly I also asked the questions on the FME Community webinar, so we have those results too!

Let's see the correct answers...

Answers

1) The F11 shortcut in Workbench: what does it do?

• Enters "Full Screen" mode
  • Opens an FME Hub browser
  • Re-publishes the workspace to FME Server
  • Closes the workspace without saving changes
  • Toggle Breakpoints

This should have been simple. Just open Workbench and try it. It will enter Full Screen mode.

Did you know there is an online PDF of FME shortcuts that you can download and print out? Me neither. In this case it would tell you that F11 maximizes the canvas to full screen. If you want to keep the title and status bars, then Shift + F11 simply maximizes the canvas size, keeping those elements.

As for the other answers:

The FME Hub browser doesn't have a shortcut key (use Tools > Browse FME Hub or select Alt+T, Alt+H, Enter if you are a keyboard addict)

Republish to Server doesn't have a shortcut either (File > Republish to Server, or Alt+F, Alt+I, Enter)

Close without Saving isn't a tool. Ctrl+Q is the exit shortcut, but it will always prompt you to save unsaved work.

Toggle Breakpoints has F9 as the shortcut.

Andrea's Answer: Enters Full Screen mode (Correct)

Webinar Answer: Enters Full Screen mode (Correct, 100% selected this answer)

2) Which of these is a real airport named after a real FME keynote speaker?

• Paul Ramsey International Airport, Victoria, BC
  • Elvie Smith Municipal Airport, Eatonia, SK
  • James Fee City Airport, Mesa, AZ
  • Dangermond Regional Airport, Redlands, CA
  • Chris Hadfield Airport, Sarnia, ON

Commander Hadfield was our keynote in 2017 and has an airport named after him in his hometown of Sarnia (code CYZR). Sadly I'm sure it's not because of his FME keynote that he got the airport recognition.

Paul Ramsey and James Fee have been past keynotes but, sadly, have not been awarded the honour of an eponymous airport; those airports exist, they just haven't (yet) been named after these prominent geospatial folk.

Jack Dangermond hasn't been a keynote, but hasn't been awarded an airport name either.

Elvie Smith Municipal Airport (code CJG2) is a real "airport" (more an airstrip) in rural Saskatchewan named after a famous aeronautical engineer who was never an FME keynote.

Andrea's Answer: Chris Hadfield (Correct)

Webinar Answer: Jack Dangermond (Incorrect, 43% selected this answer)

OK, the webinar tied with 43% for Chris Hadfield too, but 10% went for Paul Ramsey, so I think it's OK to say that they were wrong overall!

3) Your work laptop connects to a floating license server in the office. But you want to use FME Desktop on a flight where there is no internet connection! What do you do?

• Check out a license
  • Borrow a license
  • Negotiate a license
  • Download a license
  • Scrounge a license

You "borrow" a license from the floating license server (Tools > License Borrowing in Workbench):

The license server itself must be set up to allow borrowing, the license itself must support borrowing, and the license must not expire within the next 24 hours.

Scrounge basically means to beg or forage for something. I think it's a mostly British term, similar to cadge.

Andrea's Answer: Borrow a License (Correct)

Webinar Answer: Borrow a License (Correct, 53% selected this answer)

4) Previous FME World Tour themes have included cooking, space exploration, race-car drivers, and Indiana Jones type adventurers. What is this year's theme?

• FME Rock Stars on Tour
  • Data Magic and Illusion
  • FME Secret Agents
  • The FME Data Spa
  • The Art of FME Data Painting

This is fairly recent news, as the link for registration just came out last week. The answer is the FME Data Spa:

I'd love for there to be a Bob Ross style, "The Art of FME", where self-intersecting geometries are just "a happy accident". It won't be this year, though!

Andrea's Answer: The FME Data Spa (Correct)

Webinar Answer: The FME Data Spa (Correct, 35% selected this answer)

5) Which of these choices wasn't a new capability added to the most recent FMEAR app update?

• A 1:1 scale toggle button to show the model in its full dimensions
  • Labels to show current dimensions, scale, location, and direction
  • A depth button to hide model components behind real-world obstacles
  • A 'Move Model Here' button to move the model to its geolocation
  • Icons to show the position of anchors and geomarkers

This is a fairly tricky one. You'd need to be familiar with the FME AR app and also AR in general.

The answer is we don't have the ability to hide model components behind real-world obstacles. That would be layering of data in a 3d way, if that makes sense. Apparently Google is working on it in their ARCore tools, so you never know what might happen one day!

If you haven't used the new AR tool yet, then give it a try. If your model is geolocated (i.e. has an anchor) then you can use the Move Model Here button (making use of your phone's GPS) to locate it in the real-world, and the 1:1 scale button to make it full size:

Andrea's Answer: A 1:1 scale toggle button (Incorrect)

Webinar Answer: A 1:1 scale toggle button (28%) and a Move Model Here button (also 28%) (Both incorrect)

6) My colleague Fil Vera is best known in the Safe Software office for what?

• His collection of suits and ties
  • His skills as a salmon fisherman
  • His beautiful handwriting
  • His lavish moustache
  • His hand-knitted scarves

This was the "impossible question", since not many of you would have contact with Fil who, according to our organizational chart, is Chief Engineering Officer for OEM and Integrations.

But then I wasn't sure about how well Andrea would know his hobbies. It turns out she did know that his main claim to fame is as a fisherman:

Displaying their catch are Fil (on the left) and one of our FME developers, Harbinder (on the right).

Andrea's Answer: His skills as a salmon fisherman (Correct)

Webinar Answer: His lavish moustache (Incorrect, 41% selected this answer)

Scores

Were you keeping count there? Andrea got 5 correct, which is definitely tough to beat.

Let's see, but first, the general info:

• Quiz Week: 12 (Jan 20/2020)
  • Number of Entries: 23
  • Best Score: 6
  • Worst Score: 2
  • Average Score: 4.54
  • Easiest Question: 1 (23)
  • Hardest Question: 5 (9)

So an easier week, with a high average of 4.54.

The hardest question was obviously the one on AR, but I expected it would be.

Anyway, the final score:

• Beat Andrea: 4
  • Equalled Andrea: 7
  • Were Beaten by Andrea: 12

So I declare Andrea the winner. Our Safe staff certainly have been hard to beat as of late. If you're keeping track, the current score (since we started this a few weeks ago) is:

• Users 2 Safers 3

User @oscard commented on the quiz page and made me wonder who has the best record for the users against the Safe staff. Here's the list, sorted by result percentage, with 3 or more entries:

W means you won that week (1 point), D means you drew/tied (0.5 points) and L means you lost (nil points)

So congrats to @srg for heading the league (unbeaten in 5 weeks) but also to @redgeographics and @david_r who have the longest win streaks (3 wins in a row). @oscard definitely has the longest drawing streak (most draws/ties in a row) of 4.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

I call my style "Playing it safe" (maybe pun intended).

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Who-hoo! \\o/

Badge +22

Incidentally the impossible question was answerable if you read the FME blog. https://www.safe.com/blog/2011/01/employee-spotlight-fil-vera/