Question

Creating Outer polygon using many small polygons

Badge +3

I have parcel boundaries, And i need to create outer boundary for parcels using some attribute name. In my group there are 4 types of attributes will come (attribute value a,b,c, and d) so i need to create 4 outer boundaries.NO OVERLAPS on outer boundaries. and are gaps between parcels and sometimes parcels are far from each other. Pls anyone can help me? i tried hull , but hull overlaps some cases.

5 replies

Userlevel 4

How about the Aggregator with a Group By? Or does your outer polygon have to be contiguous?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Does the red line drawn in the second image illustrate the required "outer boundary" for group A? Should the separate parts (like islands) be connected as shown in your image?

Badge +3

How about the Aggregator with a Group By? Or does your outer polygon have to be contiguous?

yes red is the result I need. outer polygon should be contiguous.

Badge +3

create hull grouped by attribute. You get 4 hulls, a,b,c,d

Clipp each hull by the other parcell area areas. So clip Hull a by parcells b,c,d (u can use an "IN" test).

Then you need to clip the resulting area by eachother. Using for instance a AreaOnArea overlayer and test for overlaps = 0

(of course you might end up with more then 4 areas depending on the complexity of the Hull shape. Then a way to avoid or minimize that is to do a buffer on the hulls prior to the aforementioned process.)

Badge +3
Does the red line drawn in the second image illustrate the required "outer boundary" for group A? Should the separate parts (like islands) be connected as shown in your image?

yes