Question

Writing in an Autocad extended data

Badge

Hi ! I have a problem with Autocad extended data. I added a "data property set" in my ACAD file with an attribute named "UAID". I found it in my extended data properties on Autocad.

I would like to find it when in FME in order to write in the "UAID" field a unique number that is read from an Excel. I don't know where can I find the UAID, can anyone help me ?

16 replies

Badge +10

The first I'd like to ask, is whether you used the 'Map 3D' reader to read your autocad drawing. It is possible that the attribute is part of the Object Definition and in that case you should use this specific reader (or the Civil reader) and not the regular DWG-reader.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks for fast reply ;) I tried both but I don't find the extended data I want.

Badge +2

Hi,

Is is possible to provide sample file?

Pratap

Badge

Hi,

Pratap

Sorry, even the template file is too heavy ... "Your attachment must be 1MB or smaller."

Badge +2
Sorry, even the template file is too heavy ... "Your attachment must be 1MB or smaller."

Just 1 feature is enough

Badge

Hi,

Pratap

You mean the excel file or acad ? Because acad is full of solid 3d and even if I delete all but one, it's too heavy.

Badge +10
You mean the excel file or acad ? Because acad is full of solid 3d and even if I delete all but one, it's too heavy.

You could try the purge command after deleting all but one Solid. This might cleanup your drawing. Otherwise you might be able to share it from a cloud storage location and add the link to this thread?

Badge

Hi everybody !

Thank you for your answers but after a few research I think it's not possible to write in an Extended data ...

Nevertheless, I was able to add my UAID attribute in my acad with a simple attribute manager. I gave up the extended data. My new problem is that I would like to export my ACAD file in IFC and find my UAID in it. But it's not ...

Badge

Hi,

Pratap

test.zip

Here it is

Badge

Hi everybody !

Thank you for your answers but after a few research I think it's not possible to write in an Extended data ...

Nevertheless, I was able to add my UAID attribute in my acad with a simple attribute manager. I gave up the extended data. My new problem is that I would like to export my ACAD file in IFC and find my UAID in it. But it's not ...

I think it is possible and I have done it before in FME 2017.1.

Are you using a different version?

Badge

Hi everybody !

same 2017.1

Badge +2

Hi,

I have seen the dwg file you hav sent. If you are using FME 2017, kindly have a look at the below thread and link

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/40735/why-am-i-getting-the-error-error-using-autocad-od.html

https://www.safe.com/fme/formats-matrix/#showPlatforms=true

3D object data has been present only in 64bit but not in 332bit.

Since I have FME 2014 in my work station, so I have opened in that version and able to see the attribute you have mentioned with Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data reader. I have attached the screenshot to this thread.

So, I hope you are working on 32bit.

Pratap

safe.jpg

Badge

In the attachment is a really easy workspace that just generates a dwg that add extended entity data to a point. If you cannot see that attribute in your inspector, then I don't think the problem is FME related. It will have to do something with your machine (32 vs 64 bits, older versions of autocad, ...)?

none2acad.fmw

Badge

Hi,

I have seen the dwg file you hav sent. If you are using FME 2017, kindly have a look at the below thread and link

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/40735/why-am-i-getting-the-error-error-using-autocad-od.html

https://www.safe.com/fme/formats-matrix/#showPlatforms=true

3D object data has been present only in 64bit but not in 332bit.

Since I have FME 2014 in my work station, so I have opened in that version and able to see the attribute you have mentioned with Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data reader. I have attached the screenshot to this thread.

So, I hope you are working on 32bit.

Pratap

safe.jpg

jneujens

I'm working on 64bit (FME 2017.1 and latest of autocad civil 3d) so I don't understand why I can't have access to the extended data like you have in your screenshot ... Did you select any particular parameter when reading the DWG ?

Worse, when I write my DWG with my UAID, it appears in the general properties ... my extended data are empty !

uaid-in-conception-nothing-left-in-extended-data.png

Badge +11

There are many method of storing attribute data in AutoCAD/Civil3D

Object Data (FME READ/WRITE): is attribute data that is attached to individual objects and stored in tables in the drawing. Object data tables store text and numerical information related to an object.

Property Set Data (FME NONE YET): You attach property set data to objects by attaching one or more property sets, defined by a property set definition. After property sets are attached, the values for automatic properties are determined from the object, and you can enter values for the manual properties. This has big promises for the future but current FME is not able to read or write

ESRI Mapping Specification for CAD (FME READ/WRITE): ESRI has also created a new data specification, the mapping specification for CAD (MSC), which is a method of defining and creating GIS content using AutoCAD files and ArcGIS for AutoCAD. FME has read and write but is limited to the basic field type (no domain, no range). If you use an ArcGIS Web Service for clip and ship, you will see the full power but then DWG has problem with too much data

Extended Data or Extended Entity Data or XDdata (FME READ/WRITE): is hidden from the user, it makes it harder to modify without using a custom application within Autodesk. Some new Express Tools are available ie XDList

Badge

There are many method of storing attribute data in AutoCAD/Civil3D

Object Data (FME READ/WRITE): is attribute data that is attached to individual objects and stored in tables in the drawing. Object data tables store text and numerical information related to an object.

Property Set Data (FME NONE YET): You attach property set data to objects by attaching one or more property sets, defined by a property set definition. After property sets are attached, the values for automatic properties are determined from the object, and you can enter values for the manual properties. This has big promises for the future but current FME is not able to read or write

ESRI Mapping Specification for CAD (FME READ/WRITE): ESRI has also created a new data specification, the mapping specification for CAD (MSC), which is a method of defining and creating GIS content using AutoCAD files and ArcGIS for AutoCAD. FME has read and write but is limited to the basic field type (no domain, no range). If you use an ArcGIS Web Service for clip and ship, you will see the full power but then DWG has problem with too much data

Extended Data or Extended Entity Data or XDdata (FME READ/WRITE): is hidden from the user, it makes it harder to modify without using a custom application within Autodesk. Some new Express Tools are available ie XDList

Hi thanks for that complete answer ! Now I'm writing my attribute in the Object Data because it seems to be the easiest way.

Are you familiar with Navisworks ? Because when I open my DWG in Navisworks, the object data properties are missing ... I don't know if there is a configuration parameter to set in order to export the OD from Civil3d or maybe one in Navisworks to read those properties.