Question

How to convert a 3D CAD (dwg) to IFC?

• 4 February 2016
  • 3 replies

I have a 3D CAD drawing consisting mostly of disconnected lines and a few circles - see screenshot. When I try to export it to IFC with AutoCAD, all it outputs are six small circles which aren't even visible in AutoCAD on import (only Solibri Model Viewer), so I'm trying to do it with FME.

I've played around with an autocad-to-ifc tutorial* however I'm not really getting anywhere. Right now I'm using the 3D enforcer with autocad_extended_data{0}.world_position{0}.z and that seems to elevate the lines properly in the inspector. However both autocad_shape_height or autocad_extrusion_z do the same, so I have no idea which would be the right one to pick.

Sadly when I use the IFC writer, it outputs a 2kb file despite saying it wrote 2722 features. How do I do the transformation? All I want is to go from one format to the other and copy all values.

* https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/595/autocad-t...

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

IFC files contain building models, with solid geometries. In the AutoCAD to IFC demo, we convert 2D AutoCAD floorplan polygons into 3D solid IFC Spaces by elevating and extruding them.

However, your data appears to be contours and roadways. It is not possible to create solid geometry from these linear features, and this is generally not the type of data written to IFC.

If you tell me why you want to write this data to IFC, I may be able to suggest some possible techniques to create valid IFC files from your data.

Hellow Dave!

I am interesting to convert DXF files to IFC

I see your tutorial and I have several questions:

1) If I try to see test.ifc results with DDSViewer.exe I not be able to view resutls.

plannings-entrenamiento-fme-desktop-014.png

Then if I try with Solibri it work well

2) Is there any sample of DXF to IFC or similar converter?

3) I need to convert before DXF to 2d format?

How can I do that?

Thank you and best regards.

Sorry I try to insert name_file.dxf reader and I run translation and I get the ifc file.

project-001.png

But I have several questions about what info is extracting, and translation log.

How to know what info is managing to translate between formats.

I mean, what is the minimal info needed to extract from .DXF to create a .IFC file.

And how can I insert more info like IfcSite if .dxf file hasnĀ“t.

translation-log.txt

Whats the meaning of this two lines:

AutoCAD Reader: An error occurred for dataset 'W:\\software\\FME_info\\DXF to IFC\\data\\hostel.dxf', in function RealDWGReader::getTypeFromBrep: 'eNullObjectPointer or eInvalidObject'

AutoCAD Reader: Failed to get type from BREP for 'autocad_solid3d' entity. Feature may be skipped or resulting geometry may be NULL or incomplete

Otherwise:

IFC: No 'IfcSite'

IFC: No 'IfcBuilding'