Question

DWG Layer Frozen in Viewport

• 26 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge +9

Is there a way to determine if a DWG Layer has been frozen in a viewport?

We are reading in a DWG and want to output that to a TIFF Image but AutoCAD has a function that allows layers to be frozen in a particular viewport but I can find an attribute that indicates that for an individual feature.

If I read model space through the viewport the layers frozen for that viewport are still be display and then output to the TIFF.

Snapshot of DWG Viewport

Snapshot of TIFF

8 replies

From what I know FME reads if the layer itself is frozen in model space you will have to freeze the layer in model space and expose the layer_frozen attribute and then read through the viewport. "Freeze in viewport" doesn't change the actual layer state in autocad programming I think it just tells the viewport what it is allowed to display, fme is reading the layer states in the dwg. I made a simple workspace to demonstrate.

realdwg2none.fmwt

Badge +9

From what I know FME reads if the layer itself is frozen in model space you will have to freeze the layer in model space and expose the layer_frozen attribute and then read through the viewport. "Freeze in viewport" doesn't change the actual layer state in autocad programming I think it just tells the viewport what it is allowed to display, fme is reading the layer states in the dwg. I made a simple workspace to demonstrate.

realdwg2none.fmwt

Thanks @garydlester, but unfortunately the layer is not frozen in model space as it is used elsewhere but just in a specific viewport so that some text can be hidden.

realdwg2none.fmwt

That information would come from the viewport but I don't think FME exposes that as an attribute, you might submit as an idea to develop.

Badge +9

That information would come from the viewport but I don't think FME exposes that as an attribute, you might submit as an idea to develop.

Thanks again @garydlester, that is a good idea as I have not been able to find the associated attribute.

Badge +9

Idea raised, please vote :)

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/110727/expose-dwg-attributes-when-layers-frozen-in-viewpo.html?

Badge +9

I may have found a solution to the Frozen Viewport layers but just need some clarification on some extended attributes that FME reads from a DWG.

the autocad_extended_data_list{} attributes to filter out the frozen layers.

We noticed that the frozen layers were listed in the extended attributes 'autocad_extended_data_list{}' under an attribute called autocad_layer. Only the frozen layers were listed this way and wanted to get some clarification on what this attribute is there for and if we have interpreted it correctly.

Is it used for other reasons that might come back to bite us later?

I may have found a solution to the Frozen Viewport layers but just need some clarification on some extended attributes that FME reads from a DWG.

the autocad_extended_data_list{} attributes to filter out the frozen layers.

We noticed that the frozen layers were listed in the extended attributes 'autocad_extended_data_list{}' under an attribute called autocad_layer. Only the frozen layers were listed this way and wanted to get some clarification on what this attribute is there for and if we have interpreted it correctly.

Is it used for other reasons that might come back to bite us later?

Are you reading extended entity data from the viewport or from the layers in the viewport?

Badge +9

Are you reading extended entity data from the viewport or from the layers in the viewport?

The extended data list is in the original drawing but then I filter out the viewports and get the attributes that are just related to the viewports. I have then found that I can filter out the layers mentioned in the extended attributes to leave me with the layers that aren't frozen in the viewport.