Question

Select by Location with a negative search distance

• 17 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge

I need to replicate the Select by Location function in ARC.

The catch is that I need to be able to set a negative search distance. i.e. I need the polygons in the candidate layer to overlap the filter lay by at least 2 meters. see ARC settings below

I have tried the Spatial Filter and Spatial Relator however I cant see where you can specify a distance.

The Neighbour Finder lets you specify a distance but not a negative.

Please Help.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

How about creating a Buffer (using Bufferer) with buffersize -2 (a negative buffer to decrease the size of the filter polygon) and use that in a SpatialFilter or a FeatureReader.

Badge

@erik_jan I tried that too, It wont let me do a negative buffer either, unless I am doing something wrong?

I can create the buffer in ARC and then use that but I was trying to avoid using more than one bit of software.

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@erik_jan I tried that too, It wont let me do a negative buffer either, unless I am doing something wrong?

I can create the buffer in ARC and then use that but I was trying to avoid using more than one bit of software.

Thanks

Hmm the -ve buffer worked for me in 2017.1 (attached) Which version of FME are you using?

-vebuffer.fmw

Badge
Hmm the -ve buffer worked for me in 2017.1 (attached) Which version of FME are you using?

-vebuffer.fmw

I don't have that transformer. Looks like I need an upgrade.