Question

Update SDE feature class with values from Excel table

• 11 September 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi all,

This should be really simple, but I can't work out what I'm doing wrong in my workspace. Any help appreciated...

I need to update a couple of attribute fields in a SDE feature class with values from an Excel table (attributes only, no geometry. Yet.).

• Using the Excel and 'ESRI Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) readers
  • I'm using the 'FeatureJoiner' transfomer to join the two readers together based on a unique identifier (ESRI Global ID field in the SDE feature class, which the person who created the Excel table also used to capture their new data), then
  • put it through the 'Attribute Manager' transformer so I can map fields between the Attribute Manager and my writer (the columns in the Excel file and SDE feature class have slightly different names, but I know which ones correlate)
  • I'm using the 'ESRI Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb) writer, settings:
    • Feature operation: Update
    • Table handling: use existing
    • Update spatial columns: No
    • Row selection: Match columns - 'GlobalID'
    • User Attribute definition set to manual
  • Just testing this with a couple of numeric fields (field type:double in SDE writer), but will also need to work out how to map values from the Excel table into fields which use coded domains in the SDE...

Running on:

• FME(R) 2018.1.1.0 (20181107 - Build 18567 - WIN64)
  • ArcGIS 10.7.1

Error warning:

2 replies

Badge +10

Your error log mentions the FeatureJoiner transformer. It kind of sounds like there's a mismatch in the two field types between the unique identifiers going into the FeatureJoiner. Have you tried doing a partial run of the workspace up to and including the FeatureJoiner with Feature Caching enabled? From there you could inspect what's coming out of the FeatureJoiner transformer and see if that is the issue.

@lcw

It is due to the ESRI Global ID field being an unsupported field type within FME. I believe that it is now supported in FME 2020.