Question

FME Weekly Quiz Results: Iris Gutowski (March 2020-5)

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Apologies for the late results. I was a bit busy yesterday helping out with the upcoming World Tour Virtual Roadshow. You are signed up for the roadshow, right? If not, go click that link. You'd budgeted a day to attend the world tour in person, so you'll have time in the bank to watch these webinars.

And there may be some crossover with this quiz... just saying.

Anyway, did you best Iris in this week's quiz? I suspect you probably did. But let's see the answers and who got the best scores overall...

Answers

1) What does the Ctrl+K shortcut do in FME Workbench?

• Sets the Connection Color
  • Adds a Bookmark
  • Adds a Breakpoint
  • Adds an Annotation
  • Controls the amount of Vitamin K used by a workspace

Yes, this is fairly straightforward for if no other reason than you have FME Workbench at hand to try it out. The answer is that Ctrl+K adds an annotation:

If you have an object selected, like a transformer, then the new annotation will be connected to that object. If you don't have an object selected, then the annotation will just be added to the canvas without a connection.

As for the other functions: you can set the connection color by pressing the enter key; a bookmark is added with Ctrl+B, and there isn't a shortcut for breakpoints (which is fine, because we don't use them that often).

Iris' Answer: Add a Breakpoint (Incorrect)

2) Safe uses orange quite a lot on our web site and materials. Exactly what color of orange is the standard Safe Software orange?

• #e8b168
  • #db820d
  • #2c0ddb
  • #e98400
  • #bg730f

I didn't make this the "Impossible Question" because I figured it would be quite simple to screen-capture the website and check for yourself, like this:

Then I used the Color Picker dialog in FME to turn that RGB into hex:

Notice it says #e98300, not #e98400. It would vary a little in each capture, but essentially close enough that the other answers would be definitively wrong.

The especially wrong answers are 2c0ddb (which with 2c has hardly any red, so would never be orange) and bg730f (since g is not valid in hex). I'm happy (or sad) to say that no-one fell for the invalid hex.

Anyway, my intended Safer for this week was one of our designers, who I thought would know this answer without looking it up. Tough luck for Iris then, to inherit this question!

Iris' Answer: e8b168 (Incorrect)

3) What's new about the FME Server admin account in 2020?

• You must now change the password immediately, the first time you log in
  • The account name changed from admin to administrator
  • It doesn't have a password by default, to allow the admin user to immediately open the interface
  • The password is now emailed to the administrator's email account
  • There is an option to set up logins by fingerprint recognition

But now good luck for Iris, who was a shoo-in to know that the admin password now demands to be changed immediately when you log in. Just a little extra security measure, of which there have been a few new additions in FME 2020.

I don't have a screenshot of the prompt (and I'm not about to reinstall Server just to get one) so here's a snippet of the documentation:

I love the optimism of folk who answered it was logging in by fingerprint! Maybe one day...

Iris' Answer: You must now change the password immediately (Correct)

4) A math(s) question! Take the year when the FME splashscreen showed magic potions. Add the recommended port number for FME Server. What is the result?

• NaN

The splashscreen showed magic potions in FME2017, and the Server documentation recommends using port 80 as the default:

So 2017 + 80 = 2097.

Iris' Answer: 10097 (Incorrect)

5) I have a connection in my workspace that is hidden. What happens when I click it?

• It highlights the connection, but does not select it
  • It both highlights and selects the connection
  • It selects the upstream transformer and highlights the connection
  • It shows the feature count, if there is one
  • It does nothing

It does nothing. An invisible connection that does nothing when clicked. Hmmm. That's going to be hard for me to screenshot to demonstrate!

But why is it like this? Because you don't want to click on an apparently blank area of canvas and select something by mistake. That could cause a lot of issues, so invisible means unclickable. You have to select the adjacent transformer and choose the option there to make connections visible again.

Now, if you did want it to be invisible, but selectable, then the best solution in 2020 is to change the colour of the connection to white! I don't know if I recommend that as best practice, but you could do it. Here's what a white connection line looks like:

Interestingly, if you select a normal connection, you see the previous transformer's cache! I didn't know that.

Iris' Answer: It both highlights and selects the connection (Incorrect)

6) What is the most-common forename among Safe employees?

• Ryan
  • Kevin
  • Jen/Jennifer/Jenny
  • Steven/Stephen/Steve
  • Christopher/Chris/Christian

Someone mentioned last week that the office floorplan screenshot I posted included a high percentage of Wong as the surname. That is, indeed, the most common surname at Safe. But that gave me an idea: what is the most common forename (first name)?

So out came Workbench. I scraped the list of employees from our online directory, and went to work with the StatisticsCalculator (after a bit of data cleaning with the StringReplacer, AttributeTrimmer, and DuplicateFilter).

At first, Ryan was the most common name, with three.

But then I noticed that we had Steve, Steven, and Stephen separately, and then it all fell into place. We have five variations of Steve working at Safe, plus two Stephanies as well!

We even have a Stephen Wong, who has probably the most expected name at Safe. Yes, he took the quiz this week and got question 6 correct. What else would you expect?

Iris' Answer: Steven/Stephen/Steve (Correct)

Scores

Let's see the general quiz info and scores:

• Quiz Week: 22 (Mar 30/2020)
  • Number of Entries: 25
  • Best Score: 6
  • Worst Score: 1
  • Average Score: 3.88
  • Perfect Scores: 3
  • Easiest Question: 1 (20)
  • Hardest Question: 5 (13)

A high average (a fraction more than last week) helped by three perfect scores (@oscard, @oscarwillems, and @afavaccio)

Given that Iris only scored 2, I think we know where this is going...

• Beat Iris: 19
  • Equalled Iris: 5
  • Were Beaten by Iris: 1

The overall score is now...

• Users 9 Safers 6

I can't believe I was ever worried that the Safers were running away with it!

To finish up, here's your league table.

And the Safer's league:

I added the department in for more fun. Looks like developers are flummoxed by my weird mix of FME and non-FME questions. I think I'm going back to the marketing team for next week!

2 replies

Badge +22

If you inspect a safe webpage (ctrl-shift-I in chrome) you'll see a fair bit of background-color: #e98300; in the styles tab.

Userlevel 4

Thanks @mark2atsafe for organizing the quiz, it's great fun to research/guess some of the questions!