Solved

No output from PointCloudLASClassifier

• 15 August 2019
  • 5 replies

I'm trying to get ground, and vegetation from a set of laz files, but there is no output from the PointCloudLASClassifier transformer. Is there something I'm missing that should go between the reader and classifier?

I'm running FME 2019.1.1.0. There aren't any parameters for the transformer, so I'm not sure what other info I can include.

icon

Best answer by jovitaatsafe 16 August 2019, 20:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @minorsecond,

I took a quick look and my apologies that this is so obscure, but it looks like the PointCloudLASClassifier requires a PointCloudSplitter just before, preceding the custom transformer (green).

In the PointCloudSplitter: In the parameters, set “Split By” to “classification”, “Split Type” to Unique and “Output Attribute” to “_classification”. The Output Attribute must have this name because the PointCloudLASClassifer is set up to read the attribute “_classification”. There's more information on Step 2 in the Splitting By Classification section of this tutorial.

And that should output some features from the transformer, so long as your LAS data has the classification component (you can check this in the Feature Information window when inspecting your data).

I'll make a note about adding that information into the transformer documentation (: Also wanted to mention that we have lots of great tutorials for working with point clouds here in case you might be interested. Hope that works for you!

Thanks, @jovitaatsafe! That fixed it.

Badge +16

Hi @minorsecond,

I took a quick look and my apologies that this is so obscure, but it looks like the PointCloudLASClassifier requires a PointCloudSplitter just before, preceding the custom transformer (green).

In the PointCloudSplitter: In the parameters, set “Split By” to “classification”, “Split Type” to Unique and “Output Attribute” to “_classification”. The Output Attribute must have this name because the PointCloudLASClassifer is set up to read the attribute “_classification”. There's more information on Step 2 in the Splitting By Classification section of this tutorial.

And that should output some features from the transformer, so long as your LAS data has the classification component (you can check this in the Feature Information window when inspecting your data).

I'll make a note about adding that information into the transformer documentation (: Also wanted to mention that we have lots of great tutorials for working with point clouds here in case you might be interested. Hope that works for you!

Why not add the PointCloudSplitter into the the custom transformer ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Thanks, @jovitaatsafe! That fixed it.

no problem! Glad to hear it (:

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Why not add the PointCloudSplitter into the the custom transformer ?

Good point! I will be adding that onto my list (: that's a better idea than just changing the documentation