Question

How can I resolve area overlaps/gaps with mrf2d cleaner?

• 24 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge

With the attached Workspace I am trying to match up to adjacent boxes that slightly overlap. I was hoping MRF2DCleaner would do this and remove the overlap. However, it doesn't seem to read areas at all.

Problem.png shows the overlap. ExpectedResult.png shows what I want to achieve.

Any ideas?

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @friedhelm,

I can't seem to reproduce the problem using your attached workspace. The output seems to come out clean when I inspect it and zoom in. Perhaps try adjusting the tolerance in the MRF2DCleaner to be more tolerant and see if that makes a difference for you? There's an article here that describes the different parameters you can use a bit better than the documentation in case you haven't seen it already. Alternatively, you could try the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner, also known as the SliverRemover, and the tutorial, Data QA Identifying Sliver Overlaps and Gaps in Polygon Coverage might be helpful for this one.

Badge

Hi @friedhelm,

I can't seem to reproduce the problem using your attached workspace. The output seems to come out clean when I inspect it and zoom in. Perhaps try adjusting the tolerance in the MRF2DCleaner to be more tolerant and see if that makes a difference for you? There's an article here that describes the different parameters you can use a bit better than the documentation in case you haven't seen it already. Alternatively, you could try the AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner, also known as the SliverRemover, and the tutorial, Data QA Identifying Sliver Overlaps and Gaps in Polygon Coverage might be helpful for this one.

Hi @JovitaAtSafe

thanks for the comprehensive answer. AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner, is a good alternative as long as we are looking at areas only. However, eventually I want to apply the cleaning process to all geometry types (lines, areas, points). I guess then MRF2DCleaner would be the first choice.

My problem is that MRF2DCleaner drops all the areas (see AreasNotProcessed.png). If this works on your side with the Workspace I attached to my initial post its probably an FME or Transformer issue I am using FME 2018.1.0.3.

What do you think?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @JovitaAtSafe

thanks for the comprehensive answer. AreaGapAndOverlapCleaner, is a good alternative as long as we are looking at areas only. However, eventually I want to apply the cleaning process to all geometry types (lines, areas, points). I guess then MRF2DCleaner would be the first choice.

My problem is that MRF2DCleaner drops all the areas (see AreasNotProcessed.png). If this works on your side with the Workspace I attached to my initial post its probably an FME or Transformer issue I am using FME 2018.1.0.3.

What do you think?

I am looking further into this as I'm now encountering an error on running the transformer that I wasn't getting the day before. I don't think that it would hurt to try upgrading to the latest version, but it's no longer working for me on my side either and there aren't any fixed reported issues recently on this transformer. Aiming to find out more and to have an update early next week.

Badge

@JovitaAtSafe

Thanks a lot. Update on this issue will be appreciated.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

@JovitaAtSafe

Thanks a lot. Update on this issue will be appreciated.

Hi @friedhelm,

I've located an existing issue where the MRF2DCleaner is not outputting any features (FMEENGINE-29549). In the past we weren't able to reproduce the issue ourselves. Would it be possible to share your log file as well as an FME Report by running the system_information.bat file from this article? You can send me the files at if you would rather not share your system information on the forum and I can attach it to our internal issue. Our developers will look further into it and I will let you know when the issue has been addressed. Thanks for your patience!