Question

Using the feature reader to read GeoPackages from Azure blob storage

• 27 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello

I have hundreds of very simple vector geopackages (.gpkg) stored in Azure blob storage. I use the feature reader to successfully read many other formats from blob storage but I cannot get the feature reader to read a geopackage from this location.

If I download the data, then use the feature reader, everything works as expected.

Additionally as you can see in the pictures the feature reader dialog can see the file but when asked to read it fails.

Does anyone know of a work around that doesn't involve downloading all the data?

Thank you for your time.

6 replies

Badge

Hi @jw4554,

Since this seems to work for you for other formats than GeoPackage I would recommend getting in touch with our Technical Support via a Problem Report: https://www.safe.com/support/. Then we can try to reproduce and fix the issue.

The workaround for this is currently is the method you already suggested. Download the file with the AzureBlogStorageConnector and then read it with a FeatureReader. This is in fact very similar to what the Web As Filesystem method does under the hood. The biggest difference is that in the case of the Web As Filesystem used directly in the FeatureReader the file is stored in a temporary location from where the FeatureReader is then reading the file. But in both cases, the file needs to be downloaded locally to be read.

I hope this helps!

Ok - I'll head down that route. Thanks for letting me know!

@jw4554​ - any workaround?

I have simmilar case, but another format and I didnt see nothing into path.

Hello @lukaszmarciniak​ . this was logged as bug to be fixed by safe last year as multiple formats were found to fail. I would check and if the latest version has solved the problem. To get around it I downloaded the data, then used the feature reader. This worked well; even if it was alot of transformers!

Badge +2

@jw4554​ - any workaround?

I have simmilar case, but another format and I didnt see nothing into path.

@lukaszmarciniak​ This should be fixed in FME 2020.1. What other file types are you not able to read?

@lukaszmarciniak​ This should be fixed in FME 2020.1. What other file types are you not able to read?

@Mark Stoakes​ - similar, not the same :P

https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q00008VFPgxSAH/azure-blob-storage

I have a problem with parquet files (fme 2021)