Question

No Features seen in Feature Writer

Badge

I am using a feature writer to write something into a featureclass but I do not get records for each feature that is written using a feature writer.

I have the following setting for featurewriter but everytime I do not see any feature that is written/updated via feature writer.

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @harshal.gharat

Could you share us the log file - to investigate better.

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

What version FME? Whicht output format? I rarely use this functionality so I had to give it a try. The only way I can reproduce this (no features leaving the FeatureWriter) is when no features are actually written. For example when writing to a file geodatabase using truncate in a not existing featureclass.

As @danilo_fme suggests, check your log for errors. There are probably warnings or errors saying the data can't be written. From FME 2018 you the log can be easily filtered with the Errors / Warnings / Information buttons. (This is really a great improvement my dear Safers!)

Badge

What version FME? Whicht output format? I rarely use this functionality so I had to give it a try. The only way I can reproduce this (no features leaving the FeatureWriter) is when no features are actually written. For example when writing to a file geodatabase using truncate in a not existing featureclass.

As @danilo_fme suggests, check your log for errors. There are probably warnings or errors saying the data can't be written. From FME 2018 you the log can be easily filtered with the Errors / Warnings / Information buttons. (This is really a great improvement my dear Safers!)

The FME version I am using is 2018.1.2.1. The writer is a Esri SDE Geodatabase writer. I am not getting any errors or warnings in the log but it says that 0 features written. The writer is being used to update the attributes in the target table. Upon successful run I can see the values getting updated but in summary it just gives me number of records updated/processed. What I am looking for is a feature by feature summary.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

The FME version I am using is 2018.1.2.1. The writer is a Esri SDE Geodatabase writer. I am not getting any errors or warnings in the log but it says that 0 features written. The writer is being used to update the attributes in the target table. Upon successful run I can see the values getting updated but in summary it just gives me number of records updated/processed. What I am looking for is a feature by feature summary.

I have no SDE to test with, but using a File Geodatabase I get different behavior. I always get output, even if a row is not found.

featurewriteroutput2018.fmwt

Maybe someone from Safe can chime in and check how it should work.

Badge

I have no SDE to test with, but using a File Geodatabase I get different behavior. I always get output, even if a row is not found.

featurewriteroutput2018.fmwt

Maybe someone from Safe can chime in and check how it should work.

@nielsgerrits At least you are getting something in the Output port. In my case I do not get anything.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

If the log and summary port are saying 0 features written, I wouldn't expect any output from that port. Are you sure the features are being updated?

Badge

If the log and summary port are saying 0 features written, I wouldn't expect any output from that port. Are you sure the features are being updated?

@egomm Yes features do get updated

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

@nielsgerrits At least you are getting something in the Output port. In my case I do not get anything.

@harshal.gharat I think this was a quite recent development if I check out the original idea. So it probably does not work as expected with all formats.

Not sure what you need exactly but you could easy route another stream of the features entering the FeatureWriter around it, using a Holder, FeatureMerger and Tester (To filter out the Summary Feature). If I read the comments...

"There is not yet any Rejected Output Port and it currently will only output the Features that are passed through it."

and

"Additionally, the FeatureWriter will only output features once writing has completed."

... you will not lose any information or performance.

To check if the changes are written correctly you still need to read and compare those, one way or the other.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

@harshal.gharat I think this was a quite recent development if I check out the original idea. So it probably does not work as expected with all formats.

Not sure what you need exactly but you could easy route another stream of the features entering the FeatureWriter around it, using a Holder, FeatureMerger and Tester (To filter out the Summary Feature). If I read the comments...

"There is not yet any Rejected Output Port and it currently will only output the Features that are passed through it."

and

"Additionally, the FeatureWriter will only output features once writing has completed."

... you will not lose any information or performance.

To check if the changes are written correctly you still need to read and compare those, one way or the other.

It works fine with ArcSDE writer for me, I don't know whether the transaction type makes a difference?

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

It works fine with ArcSDE writer for me, I don't know whether the transaction type makes a difference?

The transaction type makes no difference for me, writing to File Geodatabase. I don't have much experience using FME combined with SDE so difficult to think where to look for possible issues.

Badge

@egomm I am writing in versioned edits mode

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

@egomm does your log also say "0 features written"? I suspect the outputport depends on the same mechanism.

@harshal.gharat I think it is wise to Report a problem at Safe, sending them your workspace and the details around it so they can fix it if it is a bug.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

@egomm does your log also say "0 features written"? I suspect the outputport depends on the same mechanism.

@harshal.gharat I think it is wise to Report a problem at Safe, sending them your workspace and the details around it so they can fix it if it is a bug.

The features written summary at the end reports 0 features written as there is no writer - the part of the log relating to the feature writer reports 10 features written, the summary port reports 10 features written, and 10 features are output from the writer

Badge

The features written summary at the end reports 0 features written as there is no writer - the part of the log relating to the feature writer reports 10 features written, the summary port reports 10 features written, and 10 features are output from the writer

@egomm I tried as you have shown in the snapshot but no luck :( also see the summary screenshot

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Having run into this issue myself today, it looks like the FeatureWriter does not pass any features to an output port if a Table Qualifier is used

See here also https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/103580/featurewriter-block-feature-when-table-qualifier-i.html