Question

Updating polyline attributes from overlapping polygons

Badge

I have a polyline (.shp) feature that is essentially just a road network in my city and I wish to update one of its attributes from an overlapping area (.shp). The overlapping area is a buffered corridor of a bikepath that I want to use to update the polyline attribute wherever they overlap.

I'm using the lineonareaoverlayer with the following parameters:

I want to preserve all the other attributes of the polyline road network. I just want to update the status attribute from overlapping area status attribute. See below:

Line feature attributes:

Area feature attributes:

I want the Status to switch from Not ridden to Ridden anywhere on the line that overlaps with the area. From what I can tell I should be using the listexposer to access the list generated from the lineonareaoverlap transformer but no matter what I try I can't get it to work.

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I think the SpatialFilter (if a single road can overlap with only one polygon) or the SpatialRelator (if a single road can overlap with two or more polygons) would be better than the LineOnAreaOverlayer.

If a single road can overlap with two or more polygons, how do you need to update STATUS value of the road when two or more different STATUSes were retrieved from the overlapped polygons?

Badge

I think the SpatialFilter (if a single road can overlap with only one polygon) or the SpatialRelator (if a single road can overlap with two or more polygons) would be better than the LineOnAreaOverlayer.

If a single road can overlap with two or more polygons, how do you need to update STATUS value of the road when two or more different STATUSes were retrieved from the overlapped polygons?

I will be using only one polygon shape at a time. I'm just trying to keep track of which roads I've biked down. So every time I run the workspace I would use the updated polyline layer from the previous update. The only two possible status of the lines are: Not ridden and ridden. The polygon shape will only ever have a ridden status(because it's a buffered area of the path I biked.

So it would just go and check if the overlapping line has the status Not ridden and change it to ridden. If the line already has a ridden status than no update needed. I would like to have the date added as an attribute at some point but I just want to get this status attribute figured out first.