Question

Filter option in CSV reader parameter in FME 2018.1 disappeared? How to filter at source?

• 21 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi,

I'm working with a CSV of 7Millions + rows which takes ages to run,

As I am working and amending/ improving the workflow I'd like to use a sample of the data.

I want to only use rows where there is a AVL_ID field starting 101 or 110 or 111... data is looking like numbers (7 digits) e.g. 1011234

I'd like to only read and use the rows where the AVL_ID field are starting with 110.

1. 2016 workflow and dataset

I started my workflow in 2016, so opening my CSV reader parameters, I see a Filter option . I thought I could filter it at source but my data came with the fields in Numeric format so I can't use the Filter AVL_ID ^110* as described on this web page: - (under Schema Attributes > Filter by Field Value) http://docs.safe.com/fme/2016.0/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/csv/CSV_reader.htm

I tried AVL_ID >= 1100000 but it does not do anything.

see image below

2. 2019 workflow - FME 2018.1 CSV reader

If I add a new CSV working on it now on FME upgraded to 2018.1... I get AVL_ID as string ... BUT no filter options. see image below

Has this functionality being taken away ?

What's the alternative?

Thanks

:-)

2 replies

Badge

I should add that I have tried re-pointing to the data with the 2016 CSV reader but it keeps the attributes in Numbers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

The new CSV reader reads the CSV file in bulk mode (much faster), the older CSV reader read the CSV file line by line (which allows filtering).

I guess the only option for filtering is using a Tester transformer (or other filtering transformer) after reading the data.