Question

Remove Corner Imperfections for Area Amalgamator

Badge

Hi There, I am using AreaAmalgamator to create single geomtry from adjacent polygons that are sometimes disjointed. It does join polygons well but it also creates additional artifacts that I would like to have removed. I am using slightly higher settings (attached screenshot) to make sure that merged geometry does includes all the part, there are gaps between geometries. The result looks good and it contains all the part geometries. I am looking for a way to post process transformer, which will just clip out rectangular geometry. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks Jay

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @jaygis, I expect that it would be better to use the Snapper (Snapping Type: Vertex Snapping or Segment Snapping) + Dissolver rather than the AreaAmalgamator, if the amount of gaps between the adjacent polygons are very small.

Badge

Thanks takashi for your input. Our existing workspace uses snapper/dissolver approach. The issue with this approach is that there are few cases where we need to use higher snap tolerance to include polygons where there are wider gaps. With higher snap tolerance values, it sometime snaps to the incorrect side.

With my testing with AreaAmalgamator seems encouraging so far, I am finding that it does include the areas completely (not missing anything, which is important). I am hoping to post process this amalgamated geometry so that extra areas are removed (triangles). These triangles generally appear where there is almost 90 degree transition. Appreciate any further input.