Question

How can I make sure a Creator-initiated process finishes before a reader-initiated process begins?

Badge

Hello all!

I am excited that, in FME Desktop 2015, it is possible the control the order in which multiple creators run - and it is also possible to set the order in which readers are initiated. However, can I cross pollinate?

I have a workspace (image attached) that contains two separate processes. One process is initiated by a creator, then runs a custom transformer (the ControlTableCaller - also shown in attached image). The other process is initiated by an Oracle Spatial reader. I need to make sure that the Creator-initiated process ALWAYS completes before the reader starts reading.

This is a small part of a larger process, so I would like to avoid placing these in separate workspaces if possible. Is there another way to control the order?

Thank you!!

Courtney

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Can you use the Initiator output from the ControlTableCaller to initiate another sqlexecutor to read the spatial data currently read by the spatial reader?

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think you *should* be safe, because your custom transformer contains no blocking (group-based) transformers. So there's no need for the data to stop processing and let the reader in.

Having said that, to be absolutely certain you would do as @egomm says, and use the output from the custom transformer to initiate reading data. Use either a sqlexecutor, or - more likely - a FeatureReader transformer.