Question

How to use Published Parameters between Workspaces/Workspacerunners?

• 7 September 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi,

Background: I want to retrieve the File name of several files in a Folder. A have a Workspace that work, but it is way too slow. At the moment I´m using a FeatureReader to fetch a new "path_rootname" or "fme_basename". I´m sure there´s a couple of more clever ways to achieve this.

Finding the Folder isn´t an issue, but I don´t know how to fetch the File names in any other way. A got a tip to try use "Published Parameters", without any luck. I have checked Guides from FME, but I can´t get my head around how to use "Published Parameters". Probably just need a gentle push in the right direction.

Please see attached Files.

How the workspace look today & what it produces:

Regards,

//Daniel

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Let's take a few steps back: what is your overall goal? From what I've gathered you're first converting the MWD files to TXT, then to XLS, then you merge those XLS's and finally turn them into CAD lines. But with every step as a separate workspace you might introduce a lot of overhead. Every WorkspaceRunner runs the child workspace for every feature passing through.

My recommendation would be to try and do as much as possible in a single workspace. But I'd really like a bit of explanation before I dare to give a definitive answer. (I do see you have documented the workspaces and used Best Practices, which is really good, and it's likely that the answer to my questions is in there. It's just in a language, Swedish I presume, that I don't speak)

Badge

Let's take a few steps back: what is your overall goal? From what I've gathered you're first converting the MWD files to TXT, then to XLS, then you merge those XLS's and finally turn them into CAD lines. But with every step as a separate workspace you might introduce a lot of overhead. Every WorkspaceRunner runs the child workspace for every feature passing through.

My recommendation would be to try and do as much as possible in a single workspace. But I'd really like a bit of explanation before I dare to give a definitive answer. (I do see you have documented the workspaces and used Best Practices, which is really good, and it's likely that the answer to my questions is in there. It's just in a language, Swedish I presume, that I don't speak)

Hi,

Yes, I know it´s a bit of an overkill too have so many workspaces,

Since I´m fairly new to the FME-world, I´m unaware of bestpractice for control & transform the data the way I want. I´m sure there arebetter ways. The .txt & Excel-steps could probably be merged into oneworkspace.

The final goal is, like you say is to translate the data fromthe "MWD"-Files to DWG-files(one per Excel-File) with CAD-lines, witheach line on a separate layer, to allow the end-user to keep track of whichLine/Holes they are looking at.

Yes, you are correct, Swedish is that fine collection ofstrange letters & words. Ihave attached a translated version of the workspaces. Hope this helps!

example-files.zip

//D