Question

Copy AutoCAD Attribute Text from Block to GIS

Hello!  I am new to FME, so I am sorry if I am asking a too basic question.

I have been searching the Interent and reading many comments/videos to try to find the answer.

I simply have a drawing in AutoCAD, and I would like to bring this in to GIS as a shapefile.  My dwg has points, and each point has one text attribute to it.  I can bring in each point fine with FME, but I cannot bring in the attribute text as well.

Also, I do not have anything when I expand the node for my dwg file within FME.  I thought I would have the attribute in here, but it is blank.  Here is what I see.

Here is how it looks in AutoCAD.  I would just like to bring in the point with the attribute text with it (Fl_#).

Here is how it looks within GIS.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me?

2 replies

Badge +3
Hi,

In the Atuocad reader you can expose the format attributes ( it is a long list)

In your case it  would be "autocad_text_string". If it is singleline text.

You can, to identify it, also expose all format attributes and connect a inspector to the reader. Then in the "Feature Information" tab you can see in which attribute your text is.

You may also want to look at the parameter and advanced section in the Navigator for its possibilities. At the knowledgecetner there is a "readers and Writers" book, check out the autocad section for more info.
I'm sorry, but I guess I could not get it to work.  Could I possibly convert this to a point?  I saw other posts about that but I'm not sure if that would apply here.