Solved

What is the faster way to run an OSM (xml) data to Esri geodatabase data for a big area with FME?

• 23 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge

Dear Sir/madam,

I am student, working on OSM highway(poly_line) xml data with respect to the keys Max_speed and surface for the whole Africa.

In this case; I took at first, the Geometry Filter with line and I used 2 list_searchers for max_speed and surface respectively. And also use 2 attribute_creator for output. This way is working to get a Geo-database file which i can use on Arcmap. But it takes a long long time to read the data because of XML data.

Could you please help me to find the faster way or model to run the XML data? OR a faster way by using PBF format in this purpose in FME?

Thank you.

Sincerely Yours,

Yasin

icon

Best answer by david_r 28 November 2017, 12:11

View original

3 replies

Badge +22

I use the commandline tool OSMFilter to create a smaller OSM file with only the features I'm interested, prior to reading with FME.

Userlevel 4

Starting with FME 2017 you can read the PBF format directly, I would suspect that's faster than XML. By how much, I'm not sure, however.

Otherwise I completely agree with @jdh about reducing the data volume before processing with FME.

Userlevel 4

Try using an AttributeExposer and expose the "maxspeed" and "surface" attributes, e.g.

The attributes are documented in the OSM wiki: