Solved

Google is restricting access to use FME with our gmail account

We use a development gmail account to send automatic emails through the emailer. We have a number of processes that will run, then send a notification to a user via gmail.

Our development gmail account normally just sends emails, so we don't check it very often. I checked it today and saw this message:

Can someone from FME confirm that we can still use FME to access our gmail account and send emails after the 8th of July? Are there extra security settings that we need to enable on our gmail account to continue sending emails through the emailer? Has anyone else received this email?

We have received this email from Google on another dev gmail account, so it is not unique to just the one account.

icon

Best answer by hollyatsafe 4 July 2020, 00:40

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Yes, i have the same message - although I only found it when i went looking for it! Apparently 'important messages about your google account' don't end up in my inbox.

Not a huge issue for me, as I only use it for 'playing'

Userlevel 4

Google has been getting increasingly strict with mail security over the years, this is not the first time they've created a lot of hoops for automation through their mail gateways. I suspect this is mostly to combat abuse and spammers.

You may want to look into using a commercial mail host for your production servers, they are usually much more flexible about working around any issues. A good starting point would be your ISP, they can usually offer IMAP or SMTP access to mail over your business domain, and usually it's very cheap. It also looks much more professional when you can use e.g. rather than My two cents, at least...

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Google has been getting increasingly strict with mail security over the years, this is not the first time they've created a lot of hoops for automation through their mail gateways. I suspect this is mostly to combat abuse and spammers.

You may want to look into using a commercial mail host for your production servers, they are usually much more flexible about working around any issues. A good starting point would be your ISP, they can usually offer IMAP or SMTP access to mail over your business domain, and usually it's very cheap. It also looks much more professional when you can use e.g. rather than My two cents, at least...

I fully agree with this, I've asked my provider to set me up with an outgoing smtp server and it saves a lot of hassle with Google.

Badge +2

Update: The Emailer package v 2.0.0 now includes a web service definition from a verified Google App. Rather than update the existing package you'll need to remove and re-add it to make use of this new web service. Please see resolution 1 in this article for full instructions on how to do this.

Hi @karenfirstname,

If you created a Google Gmail Web Connection using the Web Service provided by FME then this app has not yet undergone the verification process. Currently only the Google Sheets and Google Drive Web Services are verified. There is now a request (FMEENGINE-66073) for the other Google Web Services including Email to become verified, however it is unlikely this will be completed by July 8th.

Therefore to continue using FME and Gmail I think you have a couple of options:

1. If you are using a GSuite domain it may be possible to ask your email server administrator to add FME to a whitelist of trusted apps: https://support.google.com/a/answer/9352843, or make it for internal use only. Either of these options should exclude it from the review process.
  4. The Gmail Web Service definition that is provided by Safe Software is recommended for demo purposes only. Therefore the preferred option may be to create your own Google App (client ID/secret) for use within FME. Since this is an app created by your account within Google there is no risk of access being denied in future. To do this you will need to:
    1. Visit Google API Console
    2. Create a New Project :
    5. create-project 
    7. Once in your Project, configure the OAuth Consent Screen. You'll first need to choose if your app is for internal purposes only.
    10. defineconsent 
    12. Then you'll need to fill in some additional info about the Application
    14. defineconsent2 
    16. Now you can go and create your Client ID and Secret. createcredentials 
    18. For the Application type you can select Desktop App
    20. createcredentials2 
    22. You'll now have a new Client ID and Secret that you can set your FME Gmail Service to use.copycredentials 
    24. Go to FME Desktop > FME Options and under Web Connections select 'Manage Services...'
    27. fmemanageservices 
    29. Find your Google Gmail Web Service and update the Client ID/Secret under the Client Information Header with the ones you just created.
    32. fmeupdateclientinfo

Update: The Emailer package v 2.0.0 now includes a web service definition from a verified Google App. Rather than update the existing package you'll need to remove and re-add it to make use of this new web service. Please see resolution 1 in this article for full instructions on how to do this.

Hi @karenfirstname,

If you created a Google Gmail Web Connection using the Web Service provided by FME then this app has not yet undergone the verification process. Currently only the Google Sheets and Google Drive Web Services are verified. There is now a request (FMEENGINE-66073) for the other Google Web Services including Email to become verified, however it is unlikely this will be completed by July 8th.

1. If you are using a GSuite domain it may be possible to ask your email server administrator to add FME to a whitelist of trusted apps: https://support.google.com/a/answer/9352843, or make it for internal use only. Either of these options should exclude it from the review process.
  4. The Gmail Web Service definition that is provided by Safe Software is recommended for demo purposes only. Therefore the preferred option may be to create your own Google App (client ID/secret) for use within FME. Since this is an app created by your account within Google there is no risk of access being denied in future. To do this you will need to:
    5. create-project 
    7. Once in your Project, configure the OAuth Consent Screen. You'll first need to choose if your app is for internal purposes only.
    10. defineconsent 
    14. defineconsent2 
    20. createcredentials2 
    22. You'll now have a new Client ID and Secret that you can set your FME Gmail Service to use.copycredentials 
    24. Go to FME Desktop > FME Options and under Web Connections select 'Manage Services...'
    27. fmemanageservices 
    29. Find your Google Gmail Web Service and update the Client ID/Secret under the Client Information Header with the ones you just created.
    32. fmeupdateclientinfo

Thanks for this detailed response!

We were actually able to use one of our IMAP emails instead once we got the port number. We used the Generic SMTP email service (which also works for gmail) however decided to go with the more professional approach and set up a "noreply" email with our company's email.

So far the emailer has been working well, so we will update all our existing emailers to the SMTP service and avoid the gmail route.

Thanks everyone for the comments :)

Badge +2

Hi @karenfirstname,

5. create-project 
    10. defineconsent 
    14. defineconsent2 
    20. createcredentials2 
    27. fmemanageservices 
    32. fmeupdateclientinfo

Is the request FMEENGINE-66073 has been completed or I still have to use Option 2 with FME Desktop 2020.1 ? Thanks

Badge +2

I fully agree with this, I've asked my provider to set me up with an outgoing smtp server and it saves a lot of hassle with Google.

Just by curiosity, how much does it cost you per month?

Userlevel 4

If you look at dedicated services like https://www.authsmtp.com/, their prices start at €32 per year for 1000 messages per month. I would expect it to be even cheaper if you get these services from your current provider and you have a good relationship with them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

We actually get it for free because we host a few websites with this provider and I have a bunch of domains parked there. It's a small business and, as @david_r says, we have a good relationship with him, which makes it easier to make arrangements like this. At the moment we only use it for some internal email stuff, I think 30-40 messages per month at most.

For larger volumes he recommended SMTP2GO, they have a free plan for up to 1000 messages/month.

Badge +6

Is the request FMEENGINE-66073 has been completed or I still have to use Option 2 with FME Desktop 2020.1 ? Thanks

@philippeb The request is still in progress, so the steps under Option 2 would still be required. We'll make sure to post an update to this Question as soon as FMEENGINE-66073 has been completed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I was looking into this and found that FMEENGINE-66073 is marked as done. So if you update the Emailer package on your FME installation, I think this should resolve the problem.

EDIT: Actually, I'm told that I should delete the existing package and re-download it. Updating it isn't enough.