Question

Generalize/Dissolve mesh into a uniform solid

• 13 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi!

I've been converting point clouds to mesh recently with the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder. Now Im facing a dilemma that my resulting mesh consists of way to many triangles for me to work with later.

I've been mixing the triangulation parametres up trying to get as smooth but then as big triangles as I can. I can reach a somewhat smooth result that defines, but the amount of triangles is absurd.

My latest aproaches has been writing a mesh with "small" triangulation parameters and then trying to "fill" the gaps in between.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to decrease the amount of the triangles? or piece together a situation like in the sparse mesh at the bottom?

Many Thanks.

Erdem

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Have you tried the MeshSimplifier transformer?

Badge +5

SurfaceDissolver would help but not solve it.

To get a clean result, you could adapt and compile :

https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Polygonal_surface_reconstruction/group__PkgPolygonalSurfaceReconstructionRef.html

Or vote for the idea:

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/105794/pointcloudsurfacebuilder-add-cgal-polygonal-surfac.html

Have you tried the MeshSimplifier transformer?

Yes, I tried it but the outcome is "Rejected" and the cause "Invalid Mesh". I've tried tweeking the parameters but the result is still rejected.

This appears to be connected to the mesh being created in the PointCloudSurfaceBuilder with "Construction Mode: Simple Triangulation". When I simplify a mesh created with the "Construction Mode: Poisson" it works, which however isn't the type of mesh I need.

My initial goal is only using FME to create a workflow for upcoming pointclouds. What you are suggesting would be awesome to have. Upvoted.

Badge +5

My initial goal is only using FME to create a workflow for upcoming pointclouds. What you are suggesting would be awesome to have. Upvoted.

To triangulate it with less noise, have you used PointCloudSimplifier beforehand?

A lot of Pointcloud to mesh algorithms are created to generate closed meshes so it will be difficult with your data. The idea would be to use Ransac to detect shapes. If you do not want-to/can compile from CGAL, I thought you could create a transformer to send a command to Cloud Compare but the Ransac plugin does not seem to be accessible directly from command line. Maybe you can ask on Cloud Compare forums and create a transformer with SystemCaller based on it.