Question

Extract point cloud boundary and create 3D solid

• 3 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a point cloud and am wanting to create a 3D solid from the extents. I have been able to produce a solid like this below with help but just wondering if there is a way so that the solid is created like the first image attached with the solid that I require very roughly outlined in red?

Any help greatly appreciated

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @samstibbs73, a possible way I can think of is:

1. PointCloudCoercer (Output Geometry: Single Multipoint): Transform the point cloud to a single multipoint.
  2. BoundsExtractor: Extract _zmin and _zmax of the multipoint feature.
  3. BoundingBoxReplacer (Replace With: Oriented Bounding Box): Transform the multipoint to an oriented bounding box.
  4. 3DForcer (Elevation: _zmin): Set _zmin as z-coordinate to the bounding box.
  5. Extruder (Distance: @Value(_zmax)-@Value(_zmin)): Transform the bounding box to a solid.
Badge

Hi @takashi, I get the error that I am out memory when following this? Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @takashi, I get the error that I am out memory when following this? Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Possibly the data size is too large to transform it to a multipoint feature. How about using the PointCloudThinner to reduce the number of points before coercing?