Question

Is it possible to write non-spatial data using SDF writer

Hello,

I'm using FME SDF Writer, but I also need to write some non-spatial data to my SDF file.

However in the SDF writer I seem to be forced to always specify a Geometry column name in the Format Parameters section of the writer.

If I specify the default: "Geometry" Autocad still recognizes the feature as a spatial feature but without a geometry and it complains about this, if we want to edit such features.

In the "Feature Type Properties" section of the Writer, I have used "fdo_null" for the geometry.

The difference between an original SDF (with a non-spatial feature) and one generated by FME SDF writer can also be seen in the FME inspector.

The features written by FME have an extra attribute: fme_geometry with value fme_undefined

Example of non-spatial feature generated by FME SDF writer:

Can somebody tell me how, if possible to write a non-spatial feature to an SDF file?

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @petermortier, in an FME data flow, every feature always has "fme_geometry" and "fme_type" attributes. Those attributes are not from the source dataset, but have been given by FME after reading from the dataset, and the combination of "fme_undefined" and "fme_no_geom" definitely indicate that the feature has no geometry.

Try inspecting the original SDF features with FME Data Inspector. I believe that you can see those attributes as well.

Badge +3

..it is called spatial data format..

somehow one expects it to have spatial data, even if its NULL.

I surmise you need a spatial "carrier"

Badge

Some years later I'm looking for the exact same thing. :-) Did you/anyone find a solution?

Writing to fdo_null adds a geometry table of geometric type 0(invalid). But I'm looking to add data with no geometric table at all. (I was thinking the solution might be in the sdf 'non-feature class' type, but cant seem to find how to change that too.) leaving the geometry table name blank is no option.

Badge

Hi @petermortier, in an FME data flow, every feature always has "fme_geometry" and "fme_type" attributes. Those attributes are not from the source dataset, but have been given by FME after reading from the dataset, and the combination of "fme_undefined" and "fme_no_geom" definitely indicate that the feature has no geometry.

Try inspecting the original SDF features with FME Data Inspector. I believe that you can see those attributes as well.

If you inspect these non spatial items you indeed see "fme_undefined" and "fme_no_geom". But in the writer this adds a geometry table with the SDF geometric type 0. What you want is to drop/delete the geometry collumn all together